Chapter 48: A Christmas Surprise

Start from the beginning

Much Love,

Bryan

There was so much curiosity in finding out what the surprise was but she new that she had to be patient.

She sure missed Lauren. Cindy was back in the house but Lauren had decided to stay over there with Landon and truth be told, she didn't blame her. Cindy didn't really measure the consequences of her actions. In reality, Lauren would have been her daughter.

Back when Emileigh was in high school, she met Kyle through a friend of hers. She was a kid then and her sister was already graduated and stuff. So that made the age difference between Emileigh and Kyle a good nineteen years or so. But despite that, she fell for him. It was childish. It was pure puppy love. How could she like a guy who was maybe twenty four when she was like 6?

It was just a silly crush, but the way Kyle treated her made her like him. She knew that she had mistaken his friendliness for something more. After all, she was a girl, a baby and he was a grown man. There is no sense in that.

One day, Kyle kissed Emileigh. Emileigh went to tell her parents that Kyle and her were going out because he had kissed her cheek. It was a really bad mistake. They went ballistic. They even almost called the police so that they could take him into custody. When she had found out that it was serious, she told them it was just a kiss. Kyle went through with the story, after all, he saw her as the little sister he never had and besides he didn't want to be taken to jail. That summer, they sent her off to Montana to live with quote aunties. When she came back, Cindy and Kyle were getting married.

She had been the maid of honor. It took nerve to do what Cindy had done. She had been crying the whole ceremony, because she felt that it was her fault that they were getting married. Kyle never once looked at her in the eyes. He always averted her gaze. There was a certain sadness about him, but of course, Cindy couldn't be happier. She had won.

As soon as the wedding was over, Emileigh left back to her parents. Her mother was still very upset for having caused a scene, but her father picked her up in his arms and talked to her in the sweetest tone he had ever heard him talk in. It was through him that she felt comfort, It was also because of him that she went to college and now she was working on her credential to teach elementary children. It wasn't as awkward as it used to be with Kyle but she definitely felt like it was all behind her. Now it she felt nothing but a little shame whenever she thought about it, but that was all. now she had Bryan. Someone Cindy couldn't take away. Someone she hoped that nobody would take away, because for once she was actually happy.

There was absolutely nothing more that she missed on Christmas morning than hearing her niece come down the stairs to greet her. It was Cindy's fault, though. She had no idea what had made Cindy change her mind, but it might have come a bit too late. Lauren loved her mother, this Emileigh new, but Lauren was still hurt because she saw to what extent her mother was willing to go to protect her own interests.

There was nothing worse than knowing your mother could change for no reason that drastically. Emileigh always saw how her own mother always favored Cindy. She saw a huge difference in the way that her mother treated Cindy and the way her mother treated her. It was painful to watch, but luckily Emileigh had her father. He was always there to support her, and Cindy as well. He didn't play favorites. It wasn't his thing, but he did feel a more fatherly-daughterly connection with Emileigh than he did with Cindy. Cindy had that connection with her mother.

She went down to the kitchen and saw Kyle grabbing a glass and filling it with water.

"Hey." Emileigh offered.

Kyle turned to face her and then said, "Oh, hey Emileigh."

"Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas."