Chapter 10

Bloody hell thought Stu he’s still a bit of a mess, but not quite as bad as I thought he may be.  Jane went straight to Michael and kissed him on the forehead and immediately started to talk to him.  She’s a tough one thought Stu this must be really hard for her.  Jane turned and beckoned to Stu still talking to Michael saying there’s someone special here to see you she said, "It’s Stu you remember Stu don’t you?" There was no reaction.  Stu had to say something but what to say and it wasn’t easy seeing him laying there.  Jane was nodding to him to say something, but what?  Then he just took a breath and out came “What the hell were trying to do you bloody idiot messing with a truck that, on a stupid mission of beating your time around town no doubt” he continued without stopping “ Look where it’s got you in a heap of trouble hasn’t it” Stu continued to lay into him verbally for another five minutes venting all the pent up frustration that had been gathering since he’d last seen his best friend.  Jane looked at Stu with horror how could he do this to her brother, how could he!!. Stu was about half way through his rant at Michael when Jane noticed Michael squeezing her hand.  Tears immediately started to run down her cheeks and pointed and nodded for Stu to continue.  Stu in any case was on a roll by this time and was really giving Michael some abuse when he was stopped suddenly in his tracks by a fainted whisper that came from Michael.  "YOU BASTARD" he said.  Oh god I’ve missed you man welcome back!! Said Stu "I’m sorry.  Go get your Mom and Dad Jane", she hurriedly kissed Michael saying I’ll be back.  Stu took Jane’s position by the bed and squeezed Michaels hand saying "god you worried the crap out of us, you really have." "Good" whispered Michael "especially you, you deserved it you piece of crap" at which point he managed a half smile.  "I can’t open my eyes" said Michael "one thing at a time" Stu said "you’ve along way to go and there’s so much to tell you Mike" "I know" said Michael "quite a lot I’ve to tell you, so strange"," me too" said Stu and Stu was just about to continue when in came Mom, Dad , Jane and doctor.  Before his family could get near him the doctor gave him a quick examination and then beckoned them in saying looks as if Michael has decided to join us after all he smiled and left telling them not to spend too much time with him he’ll need his rest.  They all stayed for another 15 minutes before they said their goodbyes saying see you later Stu lingered until Michael’s family were out of earshot and whispered to him “Hayley does want to see you", Michael smiled.

Once outside there were hugs all round the biggest one Stu got was from Jane.  The Lawton’s then asked Stu what had happened.  "To be honest when I went in to see him and Jane was beckoning me to say something to him I just couldn’t think of anything to say and I’m sorry to say I lost my temper with him."  "I was just about to stop him when I felt Michael squeeze my hand and I nodded to Stu to continue" Jane said.  "That was it, my cue so to speak so I just let go at him and that must have really caught his attention and surely enough he was back with us.  When he is a little stronger I need a long talk to him" said Stu , "but not so strong that he can beat me up as I really laid into him", Stuart smiled.  On the way back Jane asked him what he said to Michael before he left to cause that big smile, oh it was just a message I had to pass on said Stuart.

Back home Stuart could hardly contain himself by telling his parents the good news as quickly as he could and before they could ask him anything he had turned on his heels saying there’s someone else I must tell and I must tell them now and he was out of the door in a flash.  He made straight for Hayley’s house, Hayley spotted him coming up the drive and went out to meet him.  "Somebody looks happy" she said "is it Michael?" " Walk with me and I’ll tell you.  Stu proceeded to tell Hayley the full story her eyes opening wider as the story unfolded.  "My god" she exclaimed, "when do you think he’ll get out?" "It will be a while yet he’s in quite a mess and not very strong, but I did remember to tell him about you though," Hayley blushed immediately "did he say anything?","no" said Stu "but it did cause him to have a big smile on his face as I left."