Burning pyres, igniting revenge

Começar do início

I have to do the most difficult custom which was asking for a token from the wife of the deceased. It was a custom in Bhanugarh that the wife of deceased give her mangalsutra (wedding chain) so that it can be burnt with the body. If the person is not married then the mother gave something which must have been gifted by the deceased to her. I have seen this custom once and it was not a good experience. The woman has started screaming and crying hysterically saying that she won't give her mangalsutra. Would my mother do the same? I shivered with that thought but I had to do it.

Every men present in the room including my uncle and his family was looking at me with sadness. I took a deep breath and went towards my mother.

"Masa, thara mangalsutra (Mother, your wedding chain)" I stretched my right palm while kneeling down in front of her.

She raised her head to look at me. It seems that she has been robbed because she was wearing no jewelries and anything which indicated that she was once married. She was wearing a white saree and her long hair was not combed or braided like it was always done.

Shankari brought the jewelry box of my mother and sister in law so that they could hand over their wedding chain to me. I didn't touch my mother because I knew any more words or a simple hug will break her little dam of courage.

She took her mangalsutra with trembling hands and then put it on my palm. My sister in law has done the same thing then I remembered that I have to get another token for my second brother.

"Ma, virat bhai sa ki nishani (Mother, token for brother Virat)" I cursed myself when she sobbed on hearing his name. but she covered her mouth with the fabric of her veil. She looked at he jewelry box and touched a beautiful pair of anklets. She traced every inch of the anklets with trembling fingers and tears fell from her eyes.

She picked it up and put it on my palm. I didn't waste time and moved from there. My eyes were straining because of holding a flood of tears into them. I put the mangalsutra of my mother in my father's right palm and closed his fingers into a fist. I went to my elder brother Bhairav and did the put his wife's wedding chain in his fist. The next was my second brother and I placed the anklets in his palm.

The priest and his disciples has started chanting slokas for the peaceful journey for the dead and then the three bodies has been transferred on an arthee (rectangular platform which can be lifted by four people with the support of bamboo corners). The king has hold the one corner of my father and it was an honor for the royal guard then one of my father's cousin has taken his place. We have marched towards the cremation ground which was two kilometers away from the palace and people were continuously chanting the mantras.

When we have reached the ground, the bodies were placed on the pyres. I was ordered to take three rounds anticlockwise of the dead bodies starting from my father. I went near to the pyre of my father and the priest has given me some rice to feed my father. I touched the lifeless lips of my father and gently put some rice into his mouth. The priest has put an earthern pot filled with water on my right shoulder and I balanced it with my hands. When I take first step, someone has hit the earthern pot to make a hole into it so that water can flow outside the pot. I completed three rounds around my father's pyre while the chanting of mantras was going on. The priest told me to let the pot go from my hands and I let it smash on the ground behind me.

I did the same for my brothers and then the priest has given me a fire torch. It was the time to put the pyre on fire. I shivered on the thought, how could I burn my own father and brothers. They will scream in pain. No I can't do that!! The priest gave alight squeeze to my left shoulder to bring back me to reality and I lighted all the pyres to let the fire engulfed my loved ones.

"Beta kapal kriya karo (Son, do the kapal kriya)" He explained the custom and my hands started trembling when my uncle has tried to hand over me a long bamboo stick.

"Apne pita ur bhaiyon ki atma ko unke sharir se mukt karo Bhuwan (Free the spirits of your father and brothers fromtheir bodies)" the priest requested me in his soothing voice and I hold the bamboo stick in my hands.

I have to break the skull of the dead bodies in one go to break the bond of body and spirit. I remembered the cruel laughing of king of Raunakpur and the evil smile of English captain and pushed the bamboo rod towards my father's head.

"crack" I promise you father, I will give a painful death to persons who are responsible for your death.

"crack" I promise you Bhairav Bhai sa, your murderers will spend everyday in agony.

"crack" I promise you virat Bhai sa, I won't sit back until I take my revenge.

The innocent eight year old Bhuvan has died that instant and another person taken his place whose only aim of life was to take revenge.

---------------------------------------

I looked myself in the mirror for the last time. I was wearing a royal guard's uniform and today is my swearing ceremony. My mother has clasped the three layered pearl necklace around my neck. She wrapped the golden colored silk belt around my waist. My sister in law has brought a worship plate which contains the royal sword. My mother put a mark of vermillion on the sword and then on middle of my forehead.

She handed me the sword and I tucked it under my belt. I touched my mother's feet and then my sister in law's feet to seek their blessing.

When I approached near the king's court, a begul has been horned to announce my arrival. I walked on the red carpet and halted just in front of the king's throne. I did a half bow wile doing a namaste.

The priest has started the rituals and put another mark on my forehead while reciting mantras. A servant brought a silver plate with the turban of the royal guard. The priest has told me to step ahead and I took two steps ahead and knelt down in front of king.

he put the turban on my head and it fit just perfectly. He ordered me to rise and take the pledge.

I turned around to face the ministers and crowd. I scanned their faces and my gaze stuck at the face of English captain.

"Main Bhuwaneshwar singh suryavanshi, ye sapath leta hu ki apne khoon ki akhiri boond tak main apni matrbhoomi ki raksha karunga. (I Bhuwaneshwar singh suryavanshi, vows that I will protect my motherland till the last drop of blood in the body)" the english captain was shocked when he heard my voice like he couldn't believe his ears but he has covered his expression.

"Main apne un shatruwon ka samman karunga jo mujhe age se lalkarenge lekin peeth par var karne walo par main bilkul bhi daya bhawna nahi dikhaunga (I will respect those enemies who will challenge me on my face but I won't show any mercy on the back stabbers)" I said that intentionally and his face become red with anger. Yes, you English captain I know that you are a back stabber. You just start counting your days.

"main apne jeete ji maharaj ya unke parivaar par ya unki praja par koi bhi sankat nahi ane dunga (I won't let any danger come to my king or his family or his people)" I removed my sword from its sheath and hold it in my left hand. I run my thumb on its blade and a trail of blood lined its edge. I put a mark on my forehead with my blood and the crowd breaks into a big applaud.

"Jai Bhawani (Hail the goddess durga)" I raised my sword in air and the roar of Jai Bhawani echoed inside the court and the guards also raised their swords.

'Captain Wilkinson taiyar ho ja apni barbadi k liye (Get ready for your destruction)' I eyed him and pointed my sword at him in a challenge before putting it back in its sheath.