Chapter Seventeen- Circles

Hey guys so I know I suck at updating, and this chapter is short and not particularly intersting, but I promise that I will start uploading more regularly. I do have a plot line this story set out, so I promise to start writing to it. Thank you for your support.  Also ignore my god awful spelling, I will come back and edit this, but I'm too lazy right now!

"I'm not breaking up with you Dylan, we were never dating to begin with."

Phoenix's mouth was moving and I was certain words were coming out, however I didn't hear them. I can't have. The words I heard made no sense. After everything, those words could not have been coming out of Phoenix's mouth, aimed at me. Except, they were. Those words were hers, and from the look on her face she meant them.

"You're joking, right?"

"Dylan I-"

"Because you can't be serious. Not after everything we spoke about last week. You're joking around because you're still pissed about me ignoring you, right?"

I could tell from her face that this was no joke, she was looking at me as if I was an abandoned puppy she felt sorry for, not the girl she was supposed to care about.

"Well fuck." I laughed, knowing if I didn't I would cry, and I refused to cry in front of her. I wouldn't want her to think I was any more pathetic than she currently did. "I'm clearly an idiot."

"You're not an idiot."

Phoenix was trying her best to make me feel better. Unfortunately for her, it was having the opposite affect, and I was starting to feel my anger rising, as I did my best to pretend I wasn't hurting.

"No. I must be, because I'm pretty damn sure that just a week ago we had agreed to give us a try. But clearly I imagined that." My words were filled with bitterness, as I thought about the last week, and how it felt like Phoenix had been playing me for a fool.

"You didn't imagine it, we did agree to try-"

"Then what the hell is this, Phoenix? Why are you standing there telling me there's nothing between us?"

"That's not what I said!" Phoenix's outburst was one of exasperation. I couldn't quite figure out why she felt she had the right to feel irritated or angry when I was the one being treated like a fool. "I said we were never dating."

"Oh right, well that makes a bloody big difference then doesn't it." Despite it feeling as if my heart had stopped working, it was clear my brain was still working full throttle, my sarcastic manner not faltering.

Phoenix rolled her eyes at me, before looking at me like I was a child about to be told off by their teacher. The irony didn't escape me.

"You've never been in a relationship before Dylan, they don't just suddenly happen. Just because we agree to give things a try between us doesn't mean we're immediately dating."

"Well excuse my ignorance of the subject."

Feeling like I was only making myself look more and more pathetic, and not wanting to be around Phoenix anymore, I made my way to the door, ignoring her calls for me to stop, I had no intention of sticking around to be spoken down to.

Slamming the door behind me, I ranted under my breath, choosing a colourful range of words to express my feelings. I was beyond hurt, but I refused to succumb to the feeling, instead choosing to remain angry at Phoenix and the situation in general.

No matter how much progress it felt like we were making, it always worked out that we were taking one step forward, and two steps backwards. Things with Phoenix seemed impossible, I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't think it was going to be Phoenix  making it so hard.