Chapter 5 | Empathy

05

I PULLED INTO the driveway at about 10 o'clock, pausing to wait for the gate to open. No matter how many times I visited, the size of my cousin's home still amazed me. I opened the car door and stepped out, marveling at the large, white painted house lit up in the night. I heard the front door open and smiled when I saw Emma dart out. Miles followed behind her, a sympathetic look on his face. 

"Oh, darling. Hurry up, come inside. It's cold out here," she said, leading me back to the door. Miles opened my boot as I looked over my shoulder, and Rhino jumped out. My cousin grabbed a few of my bags and followed us into the house. In the foyer, Emma took my coat and hung it in the closet. I looked around, trying to memorize where rooms were. If I was going to be here for a while, I would need to know my way around. I had been here before, but I had never been able to remember how to get around. To the right was the dining room with a table to fit 20 and the the left was a large sitting area with furniture that cost about the same as a year at uni. She led me down the hall and to the kitchen, and on our way we passed a few rooms (another lounge room, a library/study type room, and a closed door) and a set of stairs. Miles came in moments later, dropping my bags by the stairs on his way. 

I put my keys and phone on the counter and sighed. "Thank you so much. I don't know what I would've done without you," I said, and Miles pulled me to his chest, hugging me tight. He hadn't said a word to me apart from an initial 'hi' when I had just gotten out of my car. Emma had probably told him as soon as she hung up the phone not to even open his mouth when he saw me. Everyone knew Miles was smart, but that he had no filter. He had a habit of what we call 'word vomit'. He always said the wrong thing in front of the wrong person, and even when he realized it he kept talking to try to make it better, but just ended up making it worse. It was horribly funny.

Miles was the sweetest guy ever. He had a heart of gold and was absolutely brilliant. His brilliance in business had made him a lot of money, and despite being so young he was set for life. A few years ago he started a company. I wasn't sure what it was all about, but I did know that he got a lot of money for it when he sold it only a few months later. He started a high end restaurant called Melvin's, after his father and my uncle, in the city with that money and it quickly became the hottest place to eat. He opened four more locations around the UK and managed them all from home. With the money he made from the restaurants, he invested in other people's inventions and stocks. He was rolling in money. Though he didn't make it obvious. He didn't brag about it and didn't act like a snotty rich guy. 

Despite his success in business, he was a big goof. He was the clumsiest, most awkward guy I had ever met, but he was so sweet. Emma definitely kept him in check. She balanced him out nicely with her constant compliments and bubbly manner. With his bluntness and oafish manner, her clean cut and kind ways were a perfect match for him. 

Emma was the kind of person that you could call a friend an hour after meeting her. There's something warm about her, perhaps its her sensitivity or her bubbliness. She was so easy to talk to. Something in her hazel eyes was so welcoming. 

"Are you tired? I can show you your room. Emma set it all up for you, and there's plenty of room for Rhino. Or, if you're hungry I can make you something. Anything. We have so much food. Um, I could make you a sandwich. Or if you want something sweet we have a cake in here." Miles rambled, standing in front of the open refrigerator. 

"Miles, I'm fine," I laughed lightly, and he shut the doors slowly. "But some cake sounds nice." He opened the doors again, smiling widely, and took out a chocolate cake, which already had a few slices cut out of it. He took three plates from the cupboard while Emma got forks and a knife. I took the cover off and stuck my finger in the frosting, sticking the blob in my mouth. Emma chuckled as she cut me a slice of it, sliding the plate over with a fork. It was 5 layers of spongy dark chocolate cake with creamy chocolate frosting layered thickly between.