Everything in his body was on edge, like an adrenaline rush, he wasn't prepared for this many emotions and he didn't understand how something so amazing could be so, so terrifying.

He brushed his thumb over his girlfriend's knuckles, wishing he could turn enough to lock eyes with her but he was nearly shoulder to shoulder with two other teens so he's settle for a kiss on her hand. She squeezed his opposite shoulder as if in thanks.

"I can't believe it." Oliver had whispered, airpods coming in clear on her end, Emerson smiled and listened to the faint sound of their principal calling out more names.

"...Louisa Dai..."

"...Treyshawn Davis..."

"...Cindy Donahue..." , she remembered being best friends with Cindy in the 7th grade.

"Believe what?"

"I'm graduating, Em."

"Of course you are." Her lips were still stretched into a smile, eyes tearing up and she was determined not to ruin her makeup. "You're smarter than you give yourself credit for."

"Do you think Aima's here?"

"I don't think she'd miss it."

"...Ceaser Finnigan..."

"... Jerome Foley."

"... Ritvi Garg..."

"...Rebecca Gomez..."

"...Sidney Grayson..."

"Sorry." She prefaced. Emerson's voice was sore for three days after screaming so loud. "That's my best friend, oh my god, grab that diploma girl! Grab it!"

"...Katalina Hernandez..."

"...David Hernandez..."

"...Uriah Hicks..."

"...Peter May..."

"...Elizabeth May..."

"...Phoenix Meyer..."

"We have to get back in order, they're doing the Rs now."

"Thanks, Trent."

"No problem."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Wow, are you-are you sure?" Was heard over the auditorium speaker. The sound afterwards was muffled, not one but three administrators bustling to the front to assist. Confusion burst through the crowd, the excitement bubbling over and kids were speaking in hushed tones.

It was enough noise to drown out Principle Watson's continued questioning. "I... I don't wanna embarrass... he did... oh, wow- I just, I- wow..." tapping the mic a few times to gain traction, teachers threw pointed looks at their aisles.

And in a slightly different, more impressed tone but still questioning, Principal Watson's voice read loud and clear.

"...Oliver Remmer?.."

The crowd burst back into sound, it hushed. Emerson whispered through her mic, tears falling despite her best efforts and Oliver sat still for a second too long. "I'm so proud of you. I love you, baby."

"Crusher!" knocked the pariah out of his trance, his eyes darting to the stage and he was shuffling through the aisle, gown unzipped shifting to expose his slacks and button up, suit and tie sans the suit and Emerson was so entranced.

He darted up to the stage, zipping up his gown, eyes alight and for the first time in a long time he felt pride. He smiled for the crowd.

"... Trent Richards..."

"...Emerson Riley..."

"...our valedictorian, Jeremy Rosen..."

And even if he wasn't screaming, he was smiling wider than I'd ever seen, that big beautiful gap-toothed smile. "That's my best fucking friend."

Amidst the bustle of the crowd after the ceremony, Oliver was enveloped in a hug, the hijabi woman smiling small, tears in her eyes. She sniffled back her emotions, Clara Remmer doing the same. Oliver sucked in a sharp breath.

"You're my greatest success story, Oliver Remmer."

END
JANUARY 7th 2021