Chapter 15

"Cedric? What's wrong?" Richard rushed over to the boy and helped him up.
 "I-I don't know." He said in between sobs. "I just feel that something is wrong. Something happened and... it's not good."
 "Well, what should we do?"
 Cedric slowly started to calm down and he wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "I'm going out there. I can't just stand here doing nothing while everyone is out there dying. My friends are risking their lives for me and this town and I need to go help them."
 The King nodded. "Okay. Let us go."
 "You need to stay here, it's too dangerous."
 "Boy, this is my town and my kingdom. You may be a powerful mage but I am king and I promised that I would protect my people."
 Cedric looked into his eyes and knew that there would be no changing his mind.
 "Fine. Just, if anything goes bad you run straight back here. Promise?"
 The king nodded and as they were about to leave a voice said "Hold on."
 The pair swing and as they saw who it was, began to smile.
 Standing there was Segir, the knight who Cedric had faced before. He was clad in shiny silver plate armor, his helmet covering the sides of his face. A claymore was strapped to his back, ready to cut down whatever stood in his path.
 He bowed to the king and nodded at Cedric, who returned the gesture. "It is bad out there. Many of the townspeople have found refuge on the outskirts of Sor'real, in a little camp we set up. The rest though, they're either still here or dead."
 Richard nodded. "That is why we must go out and do something, before anyone else falls. Will you help us, my faithful knight?"
 "Of course m'lord. My first priority is serving you."
 "Not just me Segir, Cedric too."
 "Of course sir," He directed his attention to the young mage. "It is good to have you on our side."
 "Likewise. Just be cautious, the monster is very powerful."
 Segir nodded and they all ran outside to stop the ensuing chaos.

 Xethos drew his blade out of the old mans body, watching as a crimson pool began to form underneath of him. He put up a much better fight then expected, but of course he fell. These humans were much too weak to last against him. He sheathed his sword and walked over to Xavier and Max.
 "The only reason I'm keeping you alive is so that I can make you suffer later on. Unless you want to end up like that fool, I suggest you keep quiet." A minute passed before he sighed. "Damn, I was really hoping you would talk. Oh well, I'll just have to be patient. I'm going to enjoy cutting Cedric up piece by piece. Or perhaps I should slowly cut him and let him bleed for days until he dies that way."
 Max was bout to say something, but Xavier motioned for him to keep quiet.
 "Oh, come one, won't one of you say something. I've just killed that stupid wizard and now I have the urge for blood." Another moment passed. "Oh fine, you're no fun. You know what, how about I just kill one of you now and tie myself over until the mage gets here."
 Xethos looked between the two, his eyes eventually settling on Max and smiled. He drew his blood stained blade and swung, slicing through the blacksmith's neck. At least, that's what would have happened if a thick wall of ice didn't block his strike.
 He looked to see Cedric, the King and one of his knights standing there with their weapons drawn.
 "Don't touch him you twisted monster." Cedric angrily exclaimed.
 "Look at that, the assassin asking me not to kill someone." Xethos clapped his hands. "That's rich, I love it. You're a murderer. Even if you save this town and help the king, or protect your friends, you're a murderer just like me. We're so alike if you think about it."
 "Just because I was an assassin doesn't mean I can't be good. Every death I caused chipped away at my soul. It hurt me to kill, and that's why I've changed. That's why I will continue to protect this town. You, however, you are pure evil. There's no changing you."
 "I didn't say I wanted to change."
 Xethos ran at a blinding speed towards Cedric, catching him by surprise. He managed to jump out of the way of Xethos' sword strike, but the beast spun on his heel and slashed. However Segir brought his claymore down and blocked it, while Richard stabbed his blade into the creatures leg. Xethos screamed as the King pulled his weapon out and swung again. This time it was deflected and kicked out of his hands. The beast then pushed Segir's blade back and brought his down in an arc. Then he jumped back, putting distance between them and nursed his leg, which was spilling black blood.
 While this was going on Cedric had run over to Max and Xavier and healed their wounds.
 "Thank you." Max said gratefully and patted the mages shoulder.
 "I told you to get the King to the castle and what do you do, you bring him straight to the enemy." Xavier ranted.
 "You're also welcome." Cedric chuckled.
 "I didn't say thank you."
 The mage sighed. "I'm glad you guys are okay. Why are you over here anyways? Last time I saw you everyone was in the center of town."
 "We were, but the monster easily defeated us." Max explained. "Then your wizard friend found us and after we had explained everything, gave us a potion to stop our bleeding and fought the beast off."
 "Wizard friend? Oh, you mean Hugo! Where is he?" Cedric began looking around for his friend until he spotted him.
 "Cedric..." Max began but Xavier motioned for him to stop.
 The young mage walked over for his lifeless friend. He bent down and propped his head up on his knee.
 "Hugo... no, dammit!" Tears began running down his face. "No! I'm so sorry. I should have been here fighting. Please come back to me, please! I need you Hugo please, come back! You shouldn't have tried to fight him, you should have evacuated the town. Dammit!"
 He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see the blacksmith standing there with a sorry look on his face.
 "Cedric, he chose to stay and fight to protect this town and you. He fought bravely until the end, and even as he breathed his last breath he still had faith in you. You can't blame yourself for a decision he made. He knew he stood no chance, but he wasn't just going to leave you either. Stop crying and get up and fight! Don't let his death mean nothing, you have to honor him."
 The mage looked up at Max, the one who took him in when he remembered nothing, showed him how to forge a sword, feed him and cared for him. Then he looked at Xavier, who softly smiled at him. He took him in as an infant, showed him how to fight and watched him grow up. These two cared for him like their own child, and they had faith in him. He wouldn't let them down, and he wouldn't let Hugo's death be in vain.
 Shakily, he stood up and drew his dagger.
 Richard stepped back to avoid his jugular being slashed open, and Segir stepped forwards, taking a stab at Xethos. The monster swiftly dodged and thrust out a fist. The knight took the blow to his stomach, his armor absorbing the blow, but still got knocked back by the impact.
 "Sir, he's strong. I don't think we can beat him."
 The King blocked a strike and stepped back. "We don't have to, we just have to wear him down."
 Xethos heard this and laughed. "Well you're doing a poor job. I'm not even tired and that wound you inflicted earlier has already healed."
 Richard looked at where he had stabbed the beast and saw that the only thing there was a scar."
 He cursed and looked at his knight, who was heavily panting. If something didn't change soon they would die.
 His thoughts were interrupted as he saw a sword coming down. He blocked but the force of it made him go down to a knee. Xethos then brought his blade up and then down again, hitting the King's weapon out of his hand once again.
 "I wish I could say you put up a good fight, but well, you didn't."
 The beast brought his blade down towards the King's neck. However his strike was blocked by two daggers. Cedric grunted and pushed Xethos' sword back at him.
 "Richard, get back to the castle and leave this to me." The mage said.
 "I can't just leave you alone against that." Richard started but Cedric held up his hand.
 "You promised."
 Richard began to argue but Segir came over and put a hand on his shoulder.
 "Sir, with all due respect if you promised the boy you would leave, then you must leave. After all, what's a man without his word."
 Cedric looked back and nodded at Segir, who did the same before guiding the King away from the battle that was about to commence.
 Xethos spoke, turning Cedric's attention back to him. "How noble. The assassin actually saving lives. Although your efforts are in vain, I commend your bravery and will therefore answer one question you have honestly."
 Cedric's head spun and millions of questions filled his head. He knew that he should ask who the master was, but on the other hand he had another question.
 'Ask your question mage,' The voice in his head spoke softly. 'It is not time to find out who he's working for. Not yet.'
 'Who are you?' The mage spoke with his mind.
 'If you survive this battle, I will explain who I am. Deal?'
 'Deal.'
 "Here is my question you bastard," Cedric now spoke to Xethos, who raised an eyebrow. "Why did you kill Hugo?"
 "Excuse me?"
 "You heard me. He was nothing to you and stood no challenge. You could have let him go but  instead you murdered him. Why?!"
 Xethos stared at him for a moment before scoffing. "That's your question? What a waste. If you must know, I killed him because I was bored and because I could."
 "Because... you could?"
 "Yes, exactly. It was quite easy actually, the old man just fell over and die-"
 He was cut off as Cedric was now in front of him and landed a strong kick to his gut, sending him flying.
 "DON'T YOU EVER MOCK HIM AGAIN OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!"
 Xethos had landed and now begun to stand up. "I see, you cared for him didn't you. What a useless feeling."
 "Shut up you monster and show your true self. I won't fight you while you look like Xavier."
 "Hmph. Very well."
 Xethos closed his eyes and after a moment his skin just seemed to melt away. Standing there now he looked completely different.
 He had pure black skin, which looked to be moving around on his body. Long spiky black hair fell down to his waist, and his orange eyes flashed open. He looked to be wearing some sort of armor, but Cedric couldn't tell whether it was a leather or steel material. He still kept his sword, but was holding it with clawed hands. he had no mouth, but could still talk.
 "Is this better, mage?" To Cedric, it felt like his words were slithering around in his head.
 "Much better. Now I won't feel bad when I kill you."
 Cedric rushed forwards and slashed at the beast. Xethos simply stepped to the side and rammed the pommel of his sword into the mages back. He staggered forwards and Xethos went to cleave him in half. Cedric turned and crossed his daggers, then pushed the sword back and cut at Xethos twice, once at his stomach and then at his legs. The monster avoided the first, but was taken surprise by the second and fell forwards to grasp his wound. This gave Cedric the opportunity to slash at his neck, however Xethos leaned back to dodge and came back head smashing the boy.
 Cedric staggered back a few feet and held his head. As the beast came running, the mage thrust out his hand and a spear of ice shot out of his hand, lodging itself in the opponents leg. Xethos staggered, so Cedric concentrated. He summoned a cyclone and then willed fire to mix into it creating a fiery tornado. It rushed forwards and Xethos, still nursing his leg just looked up to see it. The force of the wind sucked him up and began to cut him, while the fire continued to burn him.
 Cedric raised his hand raised his hand and a pillar of earth rose up from the center of the cyclone, dispersing it, and it hit Xethos right in the stomach. The mage guided the pillar straight into the ground. As the mage looked into the crater he made, he realized that Xethos was gone.
 "You'll have do better than that." A voice said behind him. He spun around to be met with a sword slashing hard against his stomach. He would have been cut in half if not for the chainmail he was wearing, but it had still made a deep cut along him. He cringed and stumbled backwards, giving Xethos the opportunity to attack. He ran forwards grabbing Cedric's head and smashing it off of his knee. The boys head bounced back up and was met with a strong right hook. He flew straight into the rubble of a demolished building. Xethos didn't let up attacking however as he grabbed his leg and slammed him down onto the ground. Oddly though, Cedric just broke into dozens of pieces, like a clay vase that had been dropped.
 "What the hell?" The monster wondered aloud, then noticed a movement out of the corner of his eye. He brought his blade up in time to block one of Cedric's daggers, but the other had found its way into his shoulder. He howled and kicked the mage backwards.
 "How'd you like my little trick?" Cedric snickered, then coughed up a small amount of blood.
 "Impressive mage, but not good enough." Xethos retorted as his shoulder leaked a black substance.
 In an instant he was on the mage, relentlessly beating him. Cedric was helpless as Xethos then cut his leg, leaving a large gash. The boy yelled in pain and put his hand on the monsters shoulder. Electricity sparked from his arms into his opponents body, and smoked ebbed off of him as he was being slightly cooked.
 Cedric, using his feet, pushed Xethos off of him and onto the ground. He struggled to make his way back onto his feet, and when he did he swayed. Xethos got up and although he wasn't swaying had cuts all over his body and was panting heavily.
 "You damned brat." Xethos spat. "Stop getting in my way and die already."
 Cedric shook his head and coughed. "I can't do that when I have people waiting for me. I'm fighting for them not for my own petty goals."
 Xethos glared at him, then began to laugh. "If that's how it must be, I will stop playing around."
 Xethos clenched his hands and he became larger with his wounds all healing. Wisps of black ran off of him and his crimson stained sword grew larger and slightly curved and sharper.
 He disappeared and Cedric looked around worriedly, before his eyes grew wide. He opened his mouth but no sound came out as Xethos pulled his sword out of the the boys chest, then grabbed his neck and threw him onto the ground in front of the assassin and blacksmith.
 Xavier was the first to react as he made his way over to the mage. Max quickly followed but was forced to look away, as he couldn't look at him in that amount of pain.
 "Cedric, Cedric no!" Xavier shouted, tears starting to form in the corners of his eyes. "Get up boy, get up now!"
 Max looked again and his fists were clenched tightly. "You can't die on us. You have to get back up."
 Cedric tried to talk, but then coughed up blood.
 Xethos began to walk over to them, his blade now scraping across the ground. "Hmph. I guess he was weak after all. Wonder why master fussed over him so much. Now, I've been ordered to go kill the King and return the mages body to master." As he reached for Cedric max and Xavier raised their weapons.
 ""Oh please, you are still trying to protect him? Fine, I'll toy with you for a bit." Xethos then rushed at the two.
 On the inside of Cedric's mind something strange was happening. He was standing in an all white room with only another person in front of him. This man had long blonde hair which draped over a white button shirt. He wore black pants and had what looked to be cuffs on his wrist.
 "So, we finally meet," the man said with clasped hands. "Cedric Belrose, correct? Oh what am I saying of course you are."
 Cedric felt no evil coming from the man and decided to be honest. "Erm, yes I am Cedric. Who are you?"
 The man feigned hurt. "You mean you don't know me?"
 The young mage tilted his head and then his eyes widened. "You... you're the one who has been whispering in my head."
 "Yes that's correct, but  I am guessing you don't really know who I am." Cedric shook his head. "I thought so. You see, my name is Valrex."
 This got a reaction from Cedric, who's eyes widened and he stammered. "D-did you say Valrex. That would make you t-the mage of destiny."
 "Indeed, that's me."
 "But y-you, you're dead. What are you doing in my mind?"
 "Well, I'm not your father if that's what you're thinking." Valrex laughed, then turned more serious. "You see Cedric, when I died I still wanted to make sure that the land I tried so hard to save would still be kept safe. I watched over as a spirit of some sort, watching over everyone. However when you were born I could sense that something, one day would happen. I put myself in your body, therefore giving you access to all of the power and also unlocking all of yours."
 "So that's why I can combine spells and summon he golden aura."
 "Yes my boy. However now, that beast and his master will take over this land if you don't do something."
 Cedric sighed. "But what can I do? He's too strong."
 Valrex smiled at him. "Yes, but you are stronger. Much stronger because you are fighting for your friends and for the good of the world. Just like I did. Which is why I must pass on."
 "What?!"
 "Don't worry, I will pass on but I will also let you keep my powers, as I know you will put them to good use. You've proven that you hold all the virtues of a good king and a great mage. Just keep on fighting for what you believe in."
 Cedric nodded as Valrex held the boys shoulder. He felt something warm and in an instant was released to the real world.
 He saw Max knocked out and Xavier on the ground with an injured leg. Xethos had his sword raised and was about to bring it down when Cedric shouted.
 "Hey bastard, next time do a better job if you want to kill me!"
 Xethos hissed. "So, you're still alive."
 He ran at Cedric and slashed, but the mage simply flipped over it and kicked him.
 Xethos looked back and flinched. Cedric had summon the golden aura, which now resembled a raging inferno, and was hovering just slightly off the ground.
 The mage literally flew forward and, summoning golden flames around his daggers, slashed downwards. Xethos tried to block it but his sword shattered as it made contact. Cedric kept going and cut his chest. The monster staggered backwards and Cedric shot a ray of light at him. Hitting him square in the chest, Xethos was knocked down onto the ground.
 "Dammit." He grunted. "How did you become so powerful?!"
 "Because I'm fighting to protect the people I care about." The mage simply replied.
 Xethos shouted and leaped at the boy. Cedric raised his hand and a pillar of golden fire rose up, setting the beast alight. He shouted and Cedric then stabbed him in the stomach. He followed up with slashes all over his body and ended it by kicking him downwards sending him crashing into the earth.
 "You ignorant brat! You think that you're tough, huh? I'll kill you and then kill your friends just like I killed that stupid old wiz-"
 Cedric suddenly appeared behind him. "I said you'd regret it. I wasn't lying." And then he snapped his fingers.
 Dozens of sharp pointed earth pillars shot out of the ground, bathed in a golden light. They tore through Xethos which made him screech in agonizing pain.
 Cedric snapped his fingers again and saw a trail of fire spiraling up the pillars towards the monster and lit him ablaze. Then he held his hands out and a beam mixed of light and darkness shot towards Xethos.
 "No, no! Dammiiiit!" He cried out as he was engulfed in the beam.
 The golden aura around Cedric dispersed and he fell to the ground, still standing but exhausted. He ran a hand across his chest and felt only a slight bump where he assumed a scar had now formed.
 "Cedric!" Max shouted, now awake. "Behind you."
 He turned and drove his daggers into a surprised Xethos' heart. The beats eyes grew wide as Cedric withdrew his weapons and sheathed them.
 Xethos fell to the ground, now quickly dying and Cedric knelt down next to him.
 "You... you killed me." The monster simply said.
 "Yes, I did. I will always defeat the evil that appears."
 "Save me the sappy crap. One day you'll fight my master and when you do you'll wish you were dead. Not because of his strength but because of what you find out."
 "What do you mean? Who is he?!"
 But it was too late, Xethos lay lifeless on the ground and his body began to melt and seep through the cracks of the stone street.
 The mage heard Xavier and Max come up behind him and stood. 
 "I did it." He simply stated, smiling.
 "Yes, yes you did my boy. You did it." Xavier agreed.
 Max smiled and rustled the boys hair.
 "Congratulations mage."
 This came from Richard, who Cedric turned to see walking up from behind him.
 "Thank you my king. Wait, where's Segir." The mage asked, looking around very worriedly.
 The king waved his hand in dismissal and grinned. "He went to the camp outside of Sor'real. He and the other guards are bringing the townspeople back in. For some reason the assassins all fled, probably back to where they all came from."
 "Oh, I see."
 "Yes, now there is another subject I would like to discuss with you."
 "Anything sir. What is it?"
 "Well, in saving Sor'real and vanquishing the evil that invaded the kingdom, you have shown great courage, bravery and strength. I would proud if you would take over and rule as the new king." Richard now removed his crown and held it out to the boy.
 "You mean just like Valrex."
 "Indeed."
 Cedric looked back at Xavier and Max who nodded at him. He looked back at the King. "Fine, I will be the new king, it would be an honor. On one condition though."
 "Oh? What would that be?"
 "You have to be my royal adviser."
 The king looked shocked for a moment, then smiled. "Of course my lord. That can be arranged."
 He proceeded to place the crown on Cedric's head, signifying the start of a new rule and a new mage.

*Epilogue will be uploaded soon after this*