Cotton Candy and Riches : 27

" Stop looking at my with those eyes, like I could disappear and you wouldn't care why. Now I'm fucked up and I'm missing you. "

-

Part One

"Avalon, Tate's here!" My mom shouted from the kitchen. Emery seethed a low groan, clinging onto my t-shirt with a frown as I stood, pulling me back onto the couch. Everyone was here, now. Aggravated and ready to leave. Including Alec, who sat on the love seat next to Blake with his head turned away from me. It was quiet and strange and I wanted to leave the room.

"Em, I will be right.." She shoved her hand in my face and stared forwards, her eyes wide. I soon heard a low, throaty cough and pivoted around on my heel to see Tate standing in the doorway with a crooked grin. My lips parted the slightest bit, eyes locked on the boy whom 12 years ago wore suspenders and plaid button downs. He was now wearing a fitted polo shirt and khakis, and his face was practically a sculpture made of gold, carved out of Zac Efrons face. "Hi." I muttered softly, blinking several times to force my harsh gaze away from him and to anyone or anything else. Alec stood up, a scoff erupting from his throat.

"Well, can we go now since pretty boy has arrived?" He snapped, taking long glides past him and brushing his shoulder harshly up against Tate's in doing so. Tate was forced to take a step back and he quickly looked faltered, a frown pulling at the corners of his mouth. Everyone else stood up and raced after Alec. Probably eager to leave, or to simply talk some sense into him.

I sighed, stepping up to Tate. "Are you okay?" I asked, shaking my head. That was mean to do, and not because this whole different guy was the epiphany of beautiful. He smiled and nodded.

"Yeah," He spoke briefly, looking down at me. "I wasn't exactly expecting to be welcomed by everyone anyway."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Emery was standing in the doorway with a smirk. "Are you two going to stay or what?" I lifted my head upwards in a groan and laughed, stomping after her. Tate followed behind with a smooth stride that made me feel so small next to him. We soon were outside and gathering ourselves in the Range Rover SUV. Blake and Alec sat up front, so I was assuming it was Blake's new car. Me, Tanner, Emery, and Tate all gathered in the backseat. Squished together. Tanner sat on the left side window, Emery sat next to him, I was somewhat on top of Emery and Tate was pressed up against the right side window. Closest to Alec who practically stared him down the entire time in the rearview mirror. I could tell Tate was uncomfortable, so I gave him a small nudge.

"Did you have a good flight?" I asked, smiling. He looked grateful that I was putting an effort into speaking to him.

Tate sighed, nodding sleepily. "It was a long one. Right now, I would be sleeping back at home." I chuckled.

"What time would it be?" I asked. Emery and Tanner were listening in on the conversation as well, both of them looking at Tate as he took out his phone and turned it on to check the time.

He laughed, shoving it back in his pocket. "Four twenty seven, I would definitely still be asleep." Everyone laughed except for Alec and Blake. Blake was focused on the road and most likely not paying attention to him speaking. Alec, well. He was just being Alec.

"We are here." Blake said as he pulled into the fair grounds, parking in the grass so we could get there quicker.

"Thank fucking god," Alec snapped, throwing his passenger side door open wide and thrusting it shut. Tate sighed, opening the door softly and holding it open for me to slip out. I smiled and thanked him with a curt nod as he shut the door with ease, respecting the fact that it was a new car. Unlike Alec. I caught glimpse of Blake checking for any scuffs on the paint, but he quickly raced to Alec's side. He said something to him that made Alec grimace and speed up.

"Look, Tate," I sighed. "I'm sorry about Alec. He has a unique personality." Tate chuckled and shrugged his shoulders upwards in retrospect of the situation.

"I understand, he obviously likes you and I respect that. I know I would act the same way." My eyebrows raised. I couldn't see him acting that way, it just didn't make sense.

I shook my head. "It's not like that anymore, we sort of stopped.." I paused, looking away. "talking." He glimpsed over at me and frowned.

"Well, in that case, I call dibs for first ride on the Ferris Wheel with you." A smirk of sorts grew at the corner of his mouth and I flushed a vibrant red, smiling.

Emery cut through between us and narrowed her eyes at him. "Back off, buddy. She's mine." I chuckled and shoved her forwards with Tanner. We were soon at the Ticket booth. I gave my five dollars to the man and received my wristband, stepping inside and looking around. There were many games and rides, clowns and long stick walkers, so much food. I waited for Tate, Emery and Tanner. Alec and Blake were already in front of me. I caught glimpse of Alec, our eyes catching each others in unison. He had this look that caused a hollow feeling in my stomach. His eyes were grey and hard, not the soft brown I remember. He took a breath and blinked away, so I did too.

"What first?" Tanner asked, bobbing up and down with excitement. I chuckled and looked around.

"How about," Alec began, a sneer crawling across his expression as he glared at Tate who was standing protectively close to me. "me and pretty boy hit the bell." I instantly wanted to slap him, my eyes clawing out a hole in his chest. Tate grinned toothily, not in a competitive way. I could tell he thought it was childish and everyone else did as well.

Tate placed his fingertips on the small of my back and lifted his shoulders. "Sure." He said. Alec glanced down at his touch and hardened his expression, pivoting around on his heel and stepping over to the weight bell. Blake began to say something to him again, and Alec simply glared at him. He backed off. "Kill them with kindness." Tate winked, smiling as he walked over next to Alec.

"He's something else, Avi." Emery spoke as she found her place next to me. I just smiled and watched. Alec was first, his firm grip on the Hammer tightening harshly to the point his knuckles turned white as snow. He loosened up his shoulders and tilted his head from side to side, clenching his jaw as he lifted it over his head and slammed it down on the metal slab with a certain force that caused me to flinch. It reached about a foot away from the bell. When he finished, he smirked wildly and shoved his shoulder up against Tate's in the process of handing him the hammer.

"Take it easy, pretty boy." He said. Tate placed a kind simper on his face and took the handle in his hands, his fingers coiling around it with a steady grip. Tate glanced behind his shoulder at me and smiled, winking at me before he lifted the hammer above his shoulder and allowed it to fall harshly down against the slab. That ear ringing ding caused my mouth to widen. He tossed it down to the side, the muscles contracting in his chiseled chest causing everyone to stare with a blank expression. Including Alec.

The man working the bell grinned, handing him a large stuffed Giraffe. Tate appeared at my side and held the giraffe out with both hands, smiling wildly. I tossed my head back and laughed, cradling it within my arm and hugging it closely to my chest. "Nice job, pretty boy." I said. Tanner began howling like a coonhound on roofies. He leaped on top of Tate and began cheering, Blake joining in with a calmer state. I glanced over at Alec. He looked down and forked his hand through his hair messily, obviously defeated.

"Alec?" I mumbled, frowning. He averted his gaze from the ground up and looked at me, his eyes softening. "Are you okay?" I questioned. He nodded, looking at the giraffe and frowning.

"I just miss you, Avalon. God, I miss you." I looked back at Tate and sighed, returning my gaze to his. "Forget it." He spoke, walking over to Blake and pulling him away from Tate. I made my way back to Emery, Tanner and Tate and grinned.