Homebound : 26

" No matter how much pain I have to go through, it's better than feeling nothing for you at all. Because I will never forget you. "

-

 Two months later ;;

 "One tear at a time," I chuckled. Emery gave me an apprehensive look, her eyes narrowing to small lines. Tanner spoke up before her.

 "This is so weird, though, Avi. You know Alec and I are practically brothers. We do everything together, and of course I am going to bring Em along with whatever we do." He huffed with an agitated breath, angry that I ended things with him. It's been two months, though. My parents have came home and I am no longer staying with Alec. I told him things would change after I left, and they did.

I just smiled weakly and shrugged. "Then I will not go, easy."

"Um," Emery growled. "you will. If you really do not like him anymore, then you can just ignore him. Easy." I rolled my eyes.

Tanner nodded eagerly. "Exactly why we are going to the fair tonight, all of us." A slimy smirk crawled onto his face. I wanted to protest, but I knew that if I did, then I would seem scared. I was, truthfully. I do not think I could handle seeing him again.

"Whatever." I mumbled, running my fingers along the thin blades of grass. We were sitting in my backyard, talking about a little bit everything. How it felt to be back home, how my parents reacted when they saw me, how different everything is now. How everything is my fault.

Emery heaved a soft sigh, nibbling on the inside of her cheeks. Something she did when she was nervous. Tanner reached over and tugged her into his side, soon leaning down and kissing her on the forehead. Only then did I realize how much I missed Alec, and how much I wanted things to work out. But I did the right thing, whether it was right or not. For me.

 "Avi, come in real quick, I have to ask you a question." My mom shouted from the backdoor, her head barely peeking out. I stood and brushed off any grass remnants that clung to my clothes before taking quick glides to the door, stepping inside and shutting it behind me. My mom had a soft smile on her face.

I grinned, rocking back and forth on my heels. "Yeah?"

"Are you doing anything tonight?" She questioned, fixing the tablecloths on the dining room table. Clove stood at her feet, her small nose twitching at the smell of moms lasagna in the oven. It always smelled up the house with a cheesy aroma. I leaned down and ran my fingers through her soft coat, a small frown pulling at my lips. She was growing up too fast.

I looked back up at my mom and gave a light shrug. "I mean, I was going to go to the fair tonight with Em and Tanner." She nodded softly, her lips parting only the slightest bit as if she were going to object.

"Well," She began, walking to the stove and opening it to peek inside. After a close look, she closed it back. "Anne and her son came down from New York today, and they are coming over for dinner. I do not want Tate to be alone with us adults." I knew exactly where this was going, and I almost choked. "Do you mind if he tags along?"

"Mom!" I cried, groaning. "He is such a..a.." I shivered, frowning. The boy would rather watch a politics debate rather than doing anything fun. I am positive that he would definitely  not mind being stuck with adults. "I can't babysit a rich little vegetable."

My mom scoffed, frowning. Clove cowered at my raised voice and stalked back into the living room. "Avalon, he is not a vegetable. Besides, that was when you and him were six. He has changed just as much as you have and he is going."

I grimaced, crossing my arms. "Mom," I snapped. She raised her eyebrows and gave me a direct look, which quickly shut me up.

"Enough, Avalon. Go back outside." I sighed, twisting myself around and walking back outside, where Emery and Tanner sat talking. As soon as they saw me, they stopped.

Tanner grinned toothily. "What did you do, troublemaker?" He said with a smirk. I sighed, taking a seat and lying on my back against the cool grass.

"My mom is making me bring Tate with us." Emery practically screamed, falling against Tanner in a fit of groans. I couldn't help but do the same.

"Please tell me you are kidding, Avi. I cannot take his spoiled little self talking about the damn controversy between the U.S. and Japan all day." She whined. I burst into a fit of chuckles, shaking my head.

 Tanner looked in-between us like we were talking about the history of mangos, his eyes wide. "Omg, for reals. That guy is soo kms." He spoke, flipping his hair dramatically. Emery laughed and slapped his arm, rolling her eyes. He rubbed his shoulder. "Ow. So, who are we talking about?"

I sat up, looking at him and taking a breath. "Tate Grey. He is my moms friends son, and they just came down to Visit from New York today. They are coming over for dinner and my mom didn't want him to be with several adults, so she is making me babysit him." I spoke, falling back down against the ground and seething an agitated noise between my teeth.

"Tate Grey? Is his dad Christian Grey?" He smirked, raising his eyebrows. Me and Emery gave him an irritable look, both of us rolling our eyes. "Rude asses. So, when is he coming over?"

"Seven." I replied, forking my fingertips throughout my hair.

"Okay, well, maybe he has changed a little bit? I mean, we were six, Avalon. Can't we just give him a chance? If he is the same, we will go on the swings and secretly loosen up his swing so he will fall to his.."

"Em!" I growled, laughing. "Too vulgar." She shrugged, wrapping her arms around Tanner. "We'll see, I guess." I had a bad feeling about this.