Chapter 17 - Game Galaxy

The next morning, after my friends had left, I began to drive around to search for a job. I drove to local bakeries and restaurants (fancy, fast food, and in between) to ask if they were seeking help. Nobody seemed to need help. I drove around more, to random companies to ask if they were seeking help or would employ someone like me. I couldn't seem to find any place. No one in Los Angeles wanted to hire anyone at that time. At least that's what it seemed like.

I drove everywhere, and I finally found a small game shop that wasn't too far away from my house. I'd heard of it once before, but I didn't know it was still in business.

I walked in, not sure of what to expect. I was amazed at what I saw. There were so many people in the store, and it was great to see. I walked up to the counter and saw that there was a sign to tell people they were looking for help. I immediately knew I wanted to work there.

"May I help you?" The guy behind the counter asked me. I looked up at him from looking at the sign to see that he was pretty cute. He reminded me a little bit of Calum. He was tall with dark hair and dark eyes. I grinned at him and read his name tag: James.

"Um, yeah," I nodded, not sure of how I should ask about the hiring. He kept looking at me until I spoke again. "I was thinking about interviewing for a job here."

"That's great! Let me go get the manager here, and you may talk to her," he smiled, walking back into a room behind the cashier station.

"Hello! I'm Blake," A woman in her early-twenties waved at me as she walked out of the back room in front of the cashier boy. She looked to be sort of a geek, but not in a bad way. I could tell she loved video games and any other type of game.

"Hi, I'm Kaylee Wilson, and I was wanting to apply for a job here," I smiled at the nice woman and the tall boy behind her.

"Terrific. Would you be able to start today?" She wondered.

"Excuse me?" I raised an eyebrow, curious to why it was that easy to get a job.

"I'm sorry. I mean, would you like to have a trial run today, and we'll see how you do?" She reached under the counter and handed me a blue shirt with the words "GAME GALAXY" written in the top right portion of the shirt.

"That sounds great. Thank you," I was shocked, but I grabbed the shirt out of her hand and went to the bathroom to change. How was it that easy?

Whenever I walked back out of the bathroom and towards the counter again where Blake and James still were, Blake looked at me in my Game Galaxy t-shirt and gasped, "You look great, Kaylee. Now tell me, have you ever been a cashier before?"

"Yes. Once when I was about fifteen or sixteen," I nodded, and her face lit up.

"That makes everything so much easier!" She seemed too nice. I couldn't believe how kind she was being. "I'll have you working here at the second cash register, beside James. He will be able to help you with anything, so ask if you need him. He's been here a while, so he knows a lot, but if you need me, I'll just be right back here." Blake pointed to the room behind the counter as she walked back into the room.

I walked through to behind the counter and stood at the cash register. James showed me all of the basics and how I would work the cash register, even though I already knew how to work a cash register.

"Thank you so much, James, but I don't need to know how to work a cash register," I giggled.

"Oh, sorry.." He chuckled and walked back to his cash register as someone walked up to it with a game they wanted to buy. A teenage boy walked up to me with a console that he was planning on buying.

"Hello, how are you?" I smiled at him, scanning the box in the console. I looked at the cash register.

"Fine," the boy shrugged. "You?"

"I'm great," I told him before adding, "That will be three hundred, twenty-six dollars and fifty-two cents please."

He handed me the money and the exact change. I placed it in the register and handed him his receipt. I began to put it in a bag when he stopped me.

"I don't want it in a bag-" he put his hand up to me. I nodded and handed him the box in the opposite hand as the receipt.

"Thank you. Have a nice day," I smiled at him.

"Mhm," he sighed, walking towards the exit of the store. I shook my head at him. The only thing he wanted was that console, and he didn't have enough time to be nice to people.

By that time, James was finished with his customer and we were both there without anyone to help. James looked at me and smiled.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that? It's not like I'm going to date you, James. You're not my soulmate," I rolled my eyes at him and laughed.

"But you are my soulmate, Kaylee.."