Home at last

We leave camp in the early hours of the morning. Arthur doesn't leave my side, as he constantly worries about my wound, which is only a scratch now so I don't know what he is so worried about. He keeps trying to make me stop and rest but I won't let him and continue to walk on, ignoring his protests. We trample on as the sun rises, I trip over branches every now and then but I carry on. As the sun begins to rise higher, clouds begin to form. A thick fog covers the pathway as we walk. After about another ten minutes, we come to a break in the woods that leads out onto a cliff in the mountain side.

Only a few miles ahead of us sits an almighty castle sat on the hill top, surrounded by forests of thick pines and evergreens. The rock walls climb high through the mist, spires of great high tower over the woods below. The thick mist cloaks it hiding it's true glory.

"Is that it?" I hear Arthur gasp beside me. I turn towards Ray and Arthur and smile the best I can.

"That's it," I say as I start to walk around the edge of the cliff and down the hill. Arthur follows quickly behind holding his cloak around him.

"It's a bit cold," he points out. I hadn't noticed until now, it is cold, a bit too cold.

"Yeah, it is. Ray, what happened?" I ask, stopping to hear his reply. His smile drops and he hangs his head.

"I'm sorry Merlin, Balaine stopped anyone from using magic, it's been slowly draining from the Kingdom. People have been hiding in their homes, afraid, terrified. The only reason that I am staying a knight is so that I can keep an eye on George. I am so sorry Merlin, the knights and I have done everything we can," he finishes his speech, tears begin to roll down his cheeks as he remembers the horrible memory. He begins to walk again going past me, sniffing as he goes.

I stand staring in his direction my eyes glossed over. I blink away the droplets and start to follow him. Arthur continues behind, not wanting to interrupt our thoughts.

I can't believe that my uncle would betray my mother in such a horrible way. Balaine is not the king of Cadagorien, he never will be and he will not hurt my brother, I will make sure of it. I will reach him a thing or two.

Just you watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We reach the city and begin to walk towards the castle gates when we spot Walter, Balaine's knight from the border, in the training ground. He is shooting arrows at a poor servant carrying a target. It almost reminds me of when me and Arthur met and all the times that I have been in the servants position. Ray grabs my arm and pulls me away into an ally way and Arthur follows.

"Merlin, there is no way that will get into the castle without him spotting us. I'm sorry but you are going to need a wound again. If there was any other way, I wouldn't ask this of you, but it is the only way that we won't cause suspicion," he whispers. Before I get even open my mouth, Arthur speaks up.

"Are you crazy?! You can't make him do that again! Merlin, you are not doing that again!" He orders. He stands back with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I never knew you cared," I mutter.

"Whatever Clotpole," he retorts.

"Arthur, you can't tell me what to do any more. I have to do this. If it means that I can get into the castle and save my brother then I will do this," I say, with my authority showing again. He is about to argue back but I stop him and begin to chant.

bilswæþ æbæremorþ

The pain once again erupts from the newly agape wound. The warmth from the blood makes my spine tense. I feel a sharp pulse of blood down my leg and I begin to shake. My legs buckle under my weight as I fall slowly to my knees. I try to look up at my friend's but darkness clouds my vision until I am conscious no more.