You think your better- Part 3

When we walked up the Coach looked surprised to see us.

"Yeah, Mr. Maze agreed with us... we are trying out" I said with a smile of defeat. Coach turned to the boys.

"Alright boys... and girls, this is going to be a long, hot practice so stay with it and you might have a chance on the team. Let's get this show on the road!!"

The coach was right; it was a long, hot practice. But Taylor and I did pretty well. I was the second fastest person on the team! I have no idea how I got so fast, I don't do cross country or anything... but I finished the five laps coming in second. We then did stretches, led by the Coaches son, of course. His name was John. John was a pretty good soccer player but it was very obvious that he was trying to show off with all his fancy moves. He led everything, which was pretty annoying if you ask me. We did drills, free kicks, and played a game at the end.

I played up front and Taylor played mid. We played great together and could get past most of the boys. I thought I saw the coach looking impressed after our goal but I couldn't be sure. I have to admit, guys soccer is a lot tougher than girls, but we had a chance. After practice I stayed sitting on the field with Taylor.

"Wow. That was a good workout." I said. "Yeah, I'll be sore tomorrow for sure, I'm going to get some more water" Taylor started for the school. I hadn't noticed that the sun vanished from the sky. I looked up at the stars.

"Amazing, isn't it." said a voice. I sat up. It was the cute brown haired guy from the other day.

"What is?" I tried not to sound interested.

"The stars in the sky" he responded.

"Yeah they are." I couldn't help but smile quickly at him. I looked back up at the sky.

"You know, you can't see the sky like this in New York." He turned to look at me. I stared back. He was even hotter up close.

"You've been?" I asked casually.

"All my life. Till now." He sounded sad.

"So.... you just moved here. It doesn't sound like you like it very much." I looked away.

"I don't. But I'll live." He was still looking at me. I wondered how my face could possibly be that interesting.

"You and your friend played very well today. I mean, you're not a bad player, you know." he said changing the subject.

"Thanks... if that's supposed to be a complement." I challenged.

"It is. You're pretty brave to tryout against all these guys. Just you and you're friend."

"Her name's Taylor"

"Well I'm Alex" He said.

"Hi Alex." I tried to seem not too interested.

"May I ask what your name is?"

"Jade." I said coolly.

"That's a nice color." he said trying to be smart.

"Yeah it also happens to be my name." Just then Taylor appeared and noticed that I was talking to someone.

"Oh.. um I'll wait for you in the front, kay? Take your time." She said smiling, thinking something was going on, which wasn't.

"It's alright I'll go with you, I got to get home." With that, Alex helped me up. He was a little taller than me and his grip was very strong.

"See you tomorrow at practice." He smiled.

"See you." I grabbed my stuff and walked towards the school with Taylor.

We started on the walk home.

"Who was that!?" Taylor said in a high pitched, annoying sounding voice.

"Alex." I said casually.

"Okay, well then what did he say?"

"He likes stars. He's new. He's from New York. He thinks we are good players." I repeated pretty much everything we talked about.

"And...he's very good looking, might I add!" Taylor surprised me, I didn't know her to be nosy like that, that's usually Claire's job.

We arrived at my house and I said goodbye to Taylor. I took a shower, made peanut butter toast and did some homework. The whole homework thing failed. I woke up the next morning in my clothes from last night and my head in my homework. It was Friday. I threw on jean shorts and a shirt from Aeropostale. I packed my stuff, ate and met Taylor and Claire outside. Of course Taylor had told Claire about last night so I was ready to answer questions. I didn't see the big deal, we just talked. We arrived at school just in time for first period. The day went by fast, maybe because it was a Friday.

Afterschool, we went to tryouts. Alyssa was there.. in soccer gear? Alyssa was one of those preppy girls who started drama and tried to get with every hot guy in the school. Her face was full of makeup and she always wore tight clothes. There was no way Alyssa could actually play soccer. After the first drill, it was obvious to everyone that she had only been trying out for the attention of the guys. Guys did whistle at her during runs, or even when she walked by. I guess she got what she wanted, well one day of it. She annoyed the crap out of me but I knew Coach wouldn't let her keep it up.

I talked to Alex on water breaks. He was a nice guy; it was nice having someone who believed in Taylor and I.

Coach talked to Alyssa after practice and I was sure she wouldn't come back when I saw her expression. She looked REALLY mad and stormed towards me.

"I know why you did this whole 'girls should be able to try out too' thing. You just want attention!" She glared at me.

"NO. I want to make the team because I'm a good player and I actually enjoy the game, okay." I said proving a point to her.

"Sure. Whatever." She said trying to sound like she didn't care. She changed out of her big cleats, which were probably her brothers, and took five minutes to put on her stilettos.

It had been a long day..