I rolled my eyes. "Don't be foolish, Erik! Of course it's not your face!"

"What then, woman?"

"It's just. . .you! How you are. How you act. You're too much! Just look how you're treating me right now! If I married you, I would no longer be 'Emilie'. I'd become 'Erik's wife'! I'd always be catering to your needs and moodswings!"

Erik scoffed. "Yes, Emilie. That's what a wife does. Care for her husband. What did you expect would happen if we were to wed?"

"That's not the point! I feel as if I wouldn't receive the same amount of love and care as I'd be giving. Do you realize how unfair that is? I wouldn't mind doing those things for you if you'd just put me first sometimes like I do with you. . .Things just aren't working out between us right now, alright?" I put my face in my hands. "We can't even have a simple conversation without it turning into an argument!" I sighed and out my hands down. "I don't know if I'll ever grow to love you romantically, but right now we should just be friends. I do enjoy spending time with you, but I don't think we should be lovers. Canyou please be my friend, Erik?"

Erik was silent for a long time and the tension in the room grew heavily. Erik looked upat me. "I didn't realize that you felt this way."

"Well, neither did I until I spent some time and fully thought things out. When you were having your surgery, I had a lot of time to think about this."

"I see." Erik paused. "So if you hadn't thought things out. . .you would have agreed to be my wife? And. . .ultimately regretted it later?"

"I. . .I suppose so, yes."

Erik sighed and cast his eyes down. "I suppose I'd rather see you happy. You. . .you mean a lot to me, Emilie. I didn't realize you were sacrificing so much for me. It's my turn now. . .If you wish to be just friends, we can be just friends. I don't think I deserve it though. I am obviously a terrible, selfish person. But. . .if you're willing to try," Erik lifted his head and his eyes met mine. "so am I." He gave a sad smile.

I smiled back and briefly hugged him. I felt incredibly alleviated. Sure, we had another short argument, but I had told Erik how I felt and we came to a conclusion together. The situation could have gone better, but at least Erik and I were still friends. That was what I really cared about. "Oh, Erik. Thank you so much. You're a good man. I'm glad we're friends."

We pulled away from each other and he gave a curt chuckle. "As am I." There was a pregnant pause. "So. . .where do we go from here? I'll go back to the Opera Populaire, but where will you go? I. . .don't expect you'll be staying with me in my home any longer. . ."

"I'll definitely figure something out before tonight. . .I'm really glad we could work this whole thing out, though."

He smiled. "I'm glad you're happy. . .It makes me happy, too." We grinned at each other before Erik asked, "Emilie? Could you do me a favor. . .as a friend. . .and help me back to my home? I'm afraid I'm in a lot of pain and, quite frankly, I am exhausted. It seems that the Opera Ghost is in need of assistance."

"Not a problem, Monsieur." I said with a giggle.

I helped Erik stand and, with a lot of patience, we slowly walked out of the hospital and back to the Opera Populaire. Erik had his arm tightly around my shoulders and gently leaned onto me. Thankfully, no one paid us any attention as we made our way back to Erik's home. I'd hate to have another run-in with a supposed stranger. Once in a while, Erik would give a short cry of pain, but he refused to stop walking. He said he wanted nothing more than to be comfortable in his home and away from the stares of the bystanders walking by.