X

"Erik!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, Madamoiselle?" He smiled.

"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question."

For some reason, I couldn't stop thesmile from forming on my face. Why was I so happy to see him? I wasangry at him just this morning! I didn't know why, but I couldn'thelp feeling so happy. Why was Erik so calm and happy now?

"I thought it would be best to giveyou some space to calm down, so I left." I said simply.

"I am incredibly sorry I made youleave, Emilie." he said as he took his hand in mine. "And I'mterribly sorry for hurting you. I wanted you to stay in my—our—homeso no one would hurt you and in the end, I'm the one who hurts you.Can you ever forgive me?" he pleaded and gave me a sad look withhis eyes.

I opened my mouthto tell him that of course I'd forgive him, but I quickly stoppedmyself. "Erik. . .I really want to forgive you for this, but thisisn't the first time you've become angry at me and have hurt me."

"I know." hesaid quietly. He looked down at his lap. "It is foolish for me toseek forgiveness from you as I do not deserve it in the slightest."He leaned over and rested his forehead against mine. He looked intomy eyes. "I cannot help that I am in love with you, Emile Castille.When you hurt, it hurts me too. I regretted yelling at you like thatthe second you were gone. I wanted to stop you so I could apologize,but it was too late, I'm afraid. So I decided I should calm down abit and when I did, I started looking for you outside."

"How did you knowI was not inside the Opera Populaire?" I asked.

"I knew you weretoo smart to wander around inside there. You'd be found by MadameGiry in a heartbeat."

We both smiled, butmy smile quickly faded.

"If I forgiveyou, how do I know this won't happen again?"

Erik pondered overthis for a moment. "I can't guarantee that I'll never get angrylike that again, so how about we make a deal? I'll do my best tocontrol my temper and you leave me alone for a little bit if I needit, alright?"

I thought about it.The bargain didn't sound like much, but it was a step in the rightdirection. "You promise to keep your temper in check?"

He chuckled. "Yes,I promise. Whatever makes you happy, my dear." He leaned in andkissed me. I couldn't help but smile as I kissed him back. Once wepulled away, Erik asked, "So does that mean you forgive me?"

I giggled. "Yes,Erik. I forgive you."

He grinned."Wonderful. I'm glad we resolved that. Now that that is settled,"he said as he stood and took my hand in his, "would you do me thepleasure of accompanying me as I run some errands?"

I smiled. "I'd bedelighted to, Monsieur."

And with that, wewalked hand in hand towards some shops.

Erik and I laughedas we walked back towards the Opera Populaire after purchasing whatErik wanted to buy.

"I love the soundof your laugh." Erik said and smiled down at me.

"I love the soundof your laugh too." We continued gigging at each other likechildren for a few minutes. "Erik?"

"Yes, my dear?"

"Do you know whattime it is?"

"No, I do not.Perhaps we should ask someone."

Because there wasno one walking near us, we continued to walk in silence. I wonderedhow often Erik had left the opera house and walked around like this.If he did this a lot, then how did he keep the fact that he was theOpera Ghost a secret?