XII

Fear encompassed me. My heart was thundering in my ears and I was momentarily frozen to the spot until I heard a heavy thud next to me. I looked down feeling almost dumbstruck to see Erik on the ground, his eyes closed in pain and blood pooling around him. I put a hand to my mouth as I let out a bloodcurdling scream. I fell to my knees as tears started to pour down my face. Father had shot Erik instead of me.

"Erik!" I shrieked.

His hands were pressed against his sternum in an attempt to staunch the flow of blood. He was breathing shallowly and his jaw was set.

"E-E-Emilie. . .Oh, God. . ." he choked out as his entire body started shaking.

I looked around feverishly. Father was nowhere to be seen. He had apparently run off, but the few spectators were still there, staring at me and Erik, shock evident on their faces. "What is wrong with you?" I screamed at them. "Someone go! Fetch a doctor! Quickly!" One man blinked a few times, then nodded and ran off.

I turned back to Erik, sobbing. "I'm so sorry!"

"Please. . ." Erik groaned. Erik opened his eyes and stared up at me. "D-Don't be sorry. I love you. . ."

I cupped his cheek with my hand. "I love you too, Erik." I leaned down and kissed him desperately. When I pulled away, he looked up at me sadly.

"Please don't cry, my l-love." he whispered slowly. He clenched his fists and cried out in pain as his face turned into a grimace.

"Hold on, Erik. Please. A doctor is coming soon!"

He took a few shaky breaths before raising his hand to his face and taking a ring off of his smallest finger. "T-Take this."

I took the ring from his bloody fingers. It was a beautiful silver ring with a large round jewel in the center. "Oh, Erik. . .it's beautiful." I put the ring on my thumb.

Erik gave a small smile. ". . .Just like you," His smile quickly faded and his eyes tightly closed once more. "Emilie. . .there's s-s-something I want you to know. . .in-in case I don't-"

"No, Erik," I said firmly. "A doctor is coming soon."

"Even so. . .I don't know if I-I'll make it to the hospital in time."

"You will! You must!" Icried desperately.

"Just listen. . .please. . ." he begged. I gave a nod. "Emilie. . .you have taught me how to l-love. You have made me the happiest man in the world these last few days. . .I never want to hurt you. . ." Erik cried out in pain again.

"Just a little longer." I said quietly.

"Even the Opera Ghost is mortal, my dear." he replied drowsily.

The minutes stretched by agonizingly slow. I held Erik's hand tightly. He suddenly groaned loudly, turned his face to the side, and vomited. I was concerned to see that some blood was in the vomit. "I-It hurts. . ." Erik whispered as his lips started to quiver.

I was at a loss forwords. What could I say to him?

"You-You're going to be alright, Erik." I wiped the vomit and blood from Erik's lips and chin with the sleeves of my dress.

"I remember when I wished for n-nothing more than to die. . .now I find myself striving for life. . ." Erik scoffed. I caressed his face.

My heart felt like someone was squeezing it to a pulp and my stomach was churning violently. It hurt me terribly to see Erik like this. Father had reduced him to a bloody mess on the pavement in mere seconds. The coward didn't even stay to haul me back to his house. Father had run off with the gun. Maybe he had finally come to his senses and realized the horrible thing he had done. Or maybe he just didn't want to be arrested and fled in fear for his own well-being.