Chapter 1

A few years has passed and everyday I drive by the ocean, the calm waters dropping off and collecting various items placed around on the sand, the children building sandcastles and parents sunbathing.

I smiled and turn right into the beach. I stopped at a parking lot and stopped the car, grabbing the flowers on the passenger seat and exiting. The calm sound of the waves slowly rising and falling kept a steady beat as the seagulls found any leftover food from previous visitors, squaking away at eachother. The wind gently blowing and causing the smell of the ocean to grow stronger.

I began to walk onto a small sand dune, my feet slipping at certain spots until I got to the top, where I saw the one thing I didn't want to ever see.

"...Hey Arthur, I'm back... I brought some flowers too." I set them in front of the cross.

I sat down besides him and stared out into the endless ocean.
"It feels like forever, doesn't it? Having to come by everyday and talk with you or just watch the ocean with you. I bet you are having fun fishing up there." I looked up at the sky, the sun just over the ocean, the blue sky still there while everyone is enjoying life as it is. "It kind of sucks you know, just to see you gone before I know it. I told you not to go fishing at a time of a storm, but when do you ever learn?" I could just hear his voice in my head.

"Oh shut it, its not like you would know good fishing, the big ones always come during that time." I chuckled.

"Yea yea, and I haven't gotten into the ocean since then. I don't even think the 'bugger' you were talking about is there anymore. Probably up there with you."

"Idiot."

"Figures." I looked at the birds nearby, fighting for a piece of bread.

"Excuse me, sir?" I looked behind me, a young lady with flowers and a basket looked at me. "I saw you here a few days ago and I thought I would just come and pay my respects, I made this for you too because of how long you like to stay here. I hope it's not too much." I stood up and gladly took the items from her, setting the basket and flowers nearby Arthur's cross, giving her a hug.

"Thank you. You really didn't have to do any if this, but it's very nice of you."

"Do you mind if I join?"

"Not at all." She sat besides be and watched the sun slowly begin to fall.

"My name's Alfred, Alfred Jones."

"Mary Fischer, do you always come here until sundown?"

"Everyday."

"It's beautiful isn't it?"

"Absolutley stunning."

"I.. heard you talking to your friend. Do you mind me asking how she passed?"

"My friend's a guy actually, but no, I don't mind." She looked at me, her brown hair flowing in the wind. "One day, there was this really bad storm coming and he was going to go fishing, I told him not to, but he didn't listen. The boat tipped over and the waves were too much."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"It's fine, it was a few years ago, I believe today marks the third."

"You mean you have been coming up here for three years?"

"Pretty much." She stood silent for a second, looking down at her sandals.

"I bet you miss him."

"Yea, I do, but the sad thing is, I have to move on."

"I see. Your friend, he loved the ocean correct?"

"Did he love it? I think he lived on the ocean. He used to always take me fishing when I didn't want to go or drag me all the way here just to go surfing or to hang out."

"My father actually owns this company that goes scuba diving and gives tours in his submarine down to the deep ocean. I was wondering if you'd like to join?"

"After his accident, I haven't been in the ocean or even close to it ever since. I don't think I'll be able to do it."

"Like you said, you do have to move on, and it will be a one time thing, can you please try and go?" The sun began to go down, the sky turning into pinks, purples, and oranges. "I know I said that it's not much, but please Alfred. I think your friend would love to see you in the ocean just one more time." I sighed. We don't know eachother at all and she's already talking about Arthur like she knew him. I know she's trying to help, but I honestly can't.

"Listen, I know you want to help, but I really just can't. I already risk my heart coming here and having to see my friend's grave. I honestly just... can't."

"Alright, I understand, but here, just in case you decide to try it." She handed me a business card, standing up. "It was really nice meeting you Alfred Jones. I hope we can talk again." I stood up and shook her hand, hugging her and thanking her for the food and flowers. I remained on the dune while she walked away.

I looked at the card:

Fischer tours:
Scuba diving
Underwater tours
Single submarine adventures
Beautiful photography
Call (408) 428-DIVE1

I set the card in my pocket.

"Should I go Arthur?"

"A little water never hurt anybody.."

"I swear, you make me feel like I'm breaking my own rules. See you later." I walked down the dune and entered my car, laying back onto the driver seat and just looking at the night sky. "Alright. Just this once." I took my phone and the card out, dialing the number.

"Hello and thank you for calling Fischer Tours! My name is Eric Fischer. What would you like to do with us?"

"Yes, I would like to rent a single tour sub. For tomorrow."

"Great! We have the last one registered for you. May I have your name sir?"

"Jones, Alfred Jones."

"Alright Mr. Jones, the best time we have for you is at 6:30 a.m will that be alright?"

"Yes it will, should I come early?"

"No need unless necessary. We will set you off at around 7:00 so you know what the controls are and everythin' needed to be acknowledge. Just do not bring any gum, food, or drink with you besides water."

"Alright, see you tomorrow Eric."

"See you tomorrow!" I hung up the call and started the car, peering over to Arthur's spot.

"For you dude. Just for you."