Eɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ • Lᴀsᴛ Wᴏʀʟᴅ

Chapter Eighteen: Last World

"You actually think you can fight back against the Original?"

A scoff resounded. Dull pupils shrank even further—if it was even possible—until they were nothing but distant pricks of muted colour, shockingly clear against their white background.

"Nothing but a new, rash Timekeeper," the hysterical creature gurgled. "A Celebi like you is nothing. Nothing."

Her fisted palm uncurled, opening up to draw on some unknown reservoir of power and starting to form yet another sphere of contaminated sage. The orb glowered at them from its position in the air, as if mocking the group for their very weakness.

Ryou looked back at the blue-haired girl behind him. "Froakie and Kirlia don't know any defensive moves," he muttered. "Sorry, but you'll be kind of useless in this fight."

He returned his attention to the battle unfolding in front of him, muttering commands for four of his Pokemon to step back. "Milotic, remain up front," he instructed. "I want you to aid Celebi—this Celebi—with Light Screen."

"That's all you're doing?" Celeana tilted her head at the simple command—it wasn't like her friend to just use a single move. "Why aren't you going to attack back?"

As soon as Milotic complied, rearing her pretty head to conjure up a glistening golden shield that soon melted into the colours of their surroundings, the silver-haired trainer called his Pokemon back.

"This is Celebi's battle to fight," he explained. "I don't know why, but something about a Celebi being the enemy seems different—almost fated. I think Celebi has to be the one to defeat her ancestor—this is all I can do to help."

The coordinator nodded in reply—in all honesty, she didn't quite understand her friend's plan, but she assumed that what he said had held some level of common sense.

"It's..." The carrot-haired child backed away, the cocoon of her former dull tone splitting open to reveal a stammering voice that was bright with nervous anxiety. "It's coming."

She sounded terrified, and Celeana couldn't blame her from that.

As if it was a bringer of death itself, the fiery meteor of burning green plummeted towards them like an angry comet, and the rookie trainer turned her eyes away on instinct, raising her arms to shield herself from the impact.

Somewhere above, the pixie-like creature scrabbled, blindly conjuring up a large barrier that rippled through the area, placing itself between her and her opponent and taking the form of a translucent wall.

"On the defensive?" The previous look of psychotic instability had morphed into something even more insane, a halting giggle being choked out at the back of her throat. "How cute. You've seemed to forgotten, though, that my offensive power far exceeds yours."

While the screen had slowed—and weakened, to a certain extent—the impending doom that the attack brought, it was almost useless against the huge outburst of ancient power.

A scream caught in Celebi's mouth as she tried to summon barrier after barrier, soon giving up on her defensive strategy altogether and opted for a large orb of energy, hoping that it was enough to counter the incoming onslaught.

Her attempt, however, was proven futile—the attack had seemed to dissolve as soon as the comet-like orb neared, dissipating cleanly until nothing remained.

In a final bid to lessen the damage—better just one get hurt rather than all of them—the Legendary flexed her tired wings and flew overhead, putting as much distance as she could between her and the trio below.