Seveɴтeeɴ • Yoυ Were Oɴce

Chapter Seventeen: You Were Once

"Did you defeat her? Whoever she was?"

She heard a tired voice speaking up, and she managed to register it as Ryou's, his words slurred and gentle as if he'd just woken up.

Then again, he had been unconscious a few minutes ago, and Celeana couldn't blame him for sounding so exhausted. She'd realised just a moment ago that he'd been directing the question to her, and she sat bolt upright as she replied.

"I think so," she murmured. "Still...if that's the case, and your theory is true, we should be free now—right?"

The silver-haired boy took a moment to comprehend the question before giving a slow nod. "I'm not sure, though," he replied. "It's certainly a different result than the previous timelines, but we've never seen what happens if we do defeat our opponent.

Glancing up, she could see the space around them cracking, breaking into pieces as if the world consisted of nothing more than shattered glass.

The dusty brown wasteland around the three of them had been reduced to a black space—it was similar to the galaxy-like surroundings that they had battled the Dialga in, but it was much, much emptier—more like the vastness of the pitch-dark void that her reflection had kept her in.

It was desolate—the scenery was more than still, and they could only sit and watch as the world started to change once again—for what she hoped was the last time.

The earth had started to gain some colour once again, but Celeana couldn't make out where they were being taken to—she could see nothing but the barest traces of pigments shining through the overwhelming darkness.

However, as the details of her new environment grew a little clearer, she knew that where they were in was not Sapphire's house.

For one, the warm, welcoming shades of red, cream and brown that the veteran trainer had used as the primary themes of her house was absent—all she saw was green, different shades of that one colour everywhere, with just the occasional tone of earthy brown interrupting the sea of viridescent colours.

As the features of her surroundings became sharper once again—like a photographer trying to adjust the aperture of his camera—she acknowledged that she was in some sort of forest—or, at least, a cramped grassy area.

"My PokeNav is working again, I think." Ryou managed to sit up, glancing at the watch-like device on his hand. He was still a little pale, as if still suffering the effects of whatever the Giratina had done—but his trademark smile had returned.

The coordinator moved over, the blades of grass tickling her calves as she advanced to her friend's side and staring at the digital map.

"I've never learnt how to read one of these," she mumbled, deciding to wait for the boy's answer instead of further embarrassing herself.

Suppressing a light smirk, he ran his eyes over the screen, pointing a finger at a red dot that seemed to show their location. "We're in Johto," he stated, still amused by her lack of skill. "More specifically, in the Ilex forest—the place where the first Celebi is said to have been created in."

The coordinator's gaze switched to the mythical, pixie-like creature floating behind them. "You said you were a new... T—Timekeeper? Something like that?"

"Yes," the Legendary replied in a doubtful voice, her voice halting and uncertain as she spoke. "However, our ancestor did come from this holy forest—it's a much revered place among the younger generation."