Chapter Two

CHAPTER 2

“Oh there you are, Melvin.” David smiled as I walked into the garage.

“What?” I asked him, hoping he didn’t demand much.

“Oh, I was just wondering where you were earlier? Mavis told me that you came back so I just want to know where you’ve been.” David asked me, washing his sponge. He was washing his van.

“I was outside… at the playground.” I replied.

“For that long? You were gone for three hours if I’m not mistaken.” David looked at me with a surprised and suspicious look.

“Oh well, you know how it is.” I said, backing up towards the door. David looked even more suspicious now, which was honestly creepy. Maybe I should just tell him that Carl is here? Nope. Carl and I are planning something, so I can’t really tell David, or else our plans will fail.

“Oh and just to let you know, Annie is at the store with Misa.” David informed me, before I rushed away back to my room. I am so thankful he called her Annie and not mom for once…

“I’m back.” I announced, walking into my room.

“Who you talking to?” Mavis asked, standing at the doorway. She surprised me.

“Umm… to myself.” I chuckled. She rolled her eyes and sat down on my bed beside me.

“I know that Carl is here.” She smirked. I frowned and inched closer to her.

“How do you know? Don’t tell David or Annie, ok?” I said. She still had that evil little smirk on her face. Oh great.

“I won’t,” her face turned into the face of an angel. “But only if you promise to give me and Misa a piggyback ride!” she placed her hands on my check, making my face look like a fish’s.

“Ok, I promise. But please leave now… Carl and I need to have some serious talk.” I pushed her off of me and she ran away, giggling. Carl got out from under my bed and shut the door, locking it.

“Ok Carl, you ready for tonight?”

“Yup Mel! We’re gonna have fun!” Carl smirked, and I took a key out of my pocket.

--------------------------------------

“May I eat supper upstairs?” I asked Annie as we were getting ready to eat.

“Well, sure I guess. Why?” She asked. I shrugged, “I just want some alone time to think.”

I took a plate with a ton of food on it and headed upstairs. David and Annie were suspicious because I took twice the amount I usually eat. I was sharing with Carl, and nobody knew. Well, except for Mavis that is.

“Man, was I ever hungry!” Carl exclaimed as he finished his half of the food. He took a drink out of my tall glass and smiled at me.

“That’s what friends are for, buddy.” I smiled back, finishing my half also. I don’t mind sharing a glass of juice with Carl. We’re friends, and friends do all kinds of crazy things for each other, right? That’s why Carl is risking his freedom tonight so we can have some fun together. I am pretty sure he’s going to get into trouble, especially when around me since I’m considered to be someone who ‘likes some trouble’.

That evening, at around 9:30 PM, Carl and I listened quietly as Annie and David went to bed. We took a nap in the meantime, and an hour later, we were sure everyone was sound asleep.

“Ok, I think it’s time.” I smirked and Carl stretched. We quietly tiptoed down the stairs, making sure to skip the creaking steps. Then we went to the basement and I opened a window that was just wide enough for us to squeeze through. I had my key in hand, just in case we were too tired to squeeze through that window again.

Carl and I walked to the playground park, with the moon guiding our way. We made sure nobody was following us or watching us (there are stalkers in Chappry). After fooling around at the playground, I turned the light on my watch and checked the time.

“It’s 11:30 PM, Carl. Let’s go to the river now?” I said, and Carl nodded. We quietly walked to the river and sat down on the grass.

Carl and I quietly talked and listened to the crickets chirping. It was getting closer to midnight, and the night sounds were slowly dying out. Carl yawned and I checked my watch again.

11:56 PM

I took off my t-shirt and my pants, and Carl did the same. We were both only wearing our boxers, but nobody was watching so we didn’t care. We jumped into the cold river water and swum around, trying to be as quiet as possible. But that didn’t work so well when Carl splashed me. I grinned and got out and wiped myself with my pants. Carl did the same and I checked the time once more.

12:00

“Carl, it’s time.” I grinned mischievously and we both took a deep breath.

At the count of three, we both started to whoop as loud as possible. All the sounds around us died down and after we were finished, there was a dead silence. The air seemed heavy and Carl was slightly trembling from the chilly breeze. Suddenly, we saw a few people coming towards us from a distance. Since they didn’t notice us, we quickly hid in some bushes, hoping we wouldn’t be found. That would ruin our fun night.

“What was that piercing Abbo call?” One man demanded, holding a flashlight. He shone the light in our direction, but luckily, he did not notice us hiding in the bush. I sighed with relief as the small crowd of people continued down the path. We stared after them for a moment, and then I motioned for Carl to follow me. We ran to the playground with our clothes in our hands, and when we reached the swings, we quickly got dressed.

“Where do we go now?” Carl panted, stooping down to catch his breath.

“Let’s quietly come to your yard, and then I will return home.” I suggested and we ran through an alley, soon reaching Carl’s street.

“Ok, I will go into my house. I have my keys too.” Carl waved and I left. I ran to my house and quietly slipped through the window again. I noticed the light was on in the kitchen, so I didn’t go upstairs until it was off again. I rushed to the second floor and into my room, quietly closing the door. When I reached my closet to get changed, I noticed someone sitting on my bed, watching me.

David. Oh no.