Chapter 2 ~ Tears

I watched standing Next to Master Pakku as Katara fought yet another opponent. So far, the only person other then Master Pakku who stands a chance against her, is me. 

"Nice try, Pupil Sangok. A couple of more years and you might be ready to fight a sea sponge." Uncle said as he unfroze him. "Would anyone care for a rematch with Katara?"

Katara and I shared a smirk, the two of us battled against each other. It turned into a staring match since we were both waiting for the other to make the first move. In the end, Katara moved first and then twenty minutes later I won the battle. However, it was only because of the strategy I used. We were equally matched in skills, Katara just took a lot less time to get there.

 "Katara, you have advanced more quickly than any student I have ever trained. Even quicker than Emiko and you have proven that with fierce determination, passion and hard work you can accomplish anything. Raw talent alone is not enough." Pakku said looking at Aang. "Pupil Aang!"

 "Yes, Master Pakku?"

 "Care to step into the sparring circle? I figure since you've found time to play with house pets you must have already mastered waterbending." 

"I wouldn't say 'mastered', but check this out!" Aang said as he made a snowman, Uncle and Katara shut shook their heads as I giggled. He is only twelve after all. We continued sparing until it began to snow, I didn't even think about it until the water began to turn black. 

Katara gasped beside me as I picked up a handful, it was soot, soot mixed with snow. That can only mean one thing, the Fire Nation is invading the North Pole. I looked at Master Pakku alarmed as he ran towards the center of the city to meet with Chief Arnook.

"Uncle, I'm going to check on Lu Min. I'll join you in a minute." I said quickly as we split directions. I arrived at our house to see my little brother looking up at the sky confused.

"Emi? Why is the snow black?" He questioned me. "It tastes bad too."

"There are bad guys coming, so we need to get you to safety." I grabbed him and ran inside, quickly changing into battle gear and packing a small bag for him. I was going to take him to the palace, it is the safest place and in the center where I was going. Once I had finished everything I quickly grabbed Lu Min and began to run to the palace.

"Emi, don't leave me!" Lu Min cried as I gave him to a nurse.

"I'll come see him hopefully before they get here." I said to her, then I knelt down to his level. "I'll be back Lu Min, I just have to go help Uncle. You stay here with Yuki, she'll keep you safe." I said as I kissed his forehead. He nodded as he hugged me, but then I heard the war drums. 

"Emiko!" Lu Min shouted as I ran out.

~*~

I sat next to Yue, now as acting Guardian. I didn't know it would be so soon that I would actually have to be called upon. I never expected it to happen, the last time the Fire Nation invaded the North Pole was before I was born. My mother was a member of the South Pole... 

"The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe, but they will never vanish from our hearts." Chief Arnook said as I watched sadly at the men and women gathered to this war council. 

"Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits! Spirit of the Ocean! Spirit of the Moon! Be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission." 

"Count me in." Sokka said startling me.

"Be warned. Many of you will not return. Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task." Chief Arnook said as they stepped forward, we all stood up to watch. I gave Yue's hand a squeeze as Sokka stepped forward. She bit her lip as teared spilled out of her eyes. I gave her hand another squeeze as I stepped forward and received the mark.