The City At Night

This is a Mikan x Mondo one-shot, and it is told in Mondo's POV. Thank you for reading!

It was late at night, and I was riding my motorcycle around the city, passing by blurs of fluorescent lights and a few stray cars. My jacket flapping in the wind behind me, the cool nights breeze on my skin, and the adrenaline rushing through my veins as I sped through the city.

I passed by small department stores, marketplaces winding down for the night, and a bar that I could hear muffled music blaring from within.

Ignoring all of that, I went to the hospital to see if Mikan was there.

I parked my motorcycle directly in front of the bijou clinic that Mikan had opened up recently.

When I walked in, I noticed that she wasn't at the front desk, so I went to her office that was at the very back of the cramped place.

I passed by a few rooms that had some resting patients in the hospital beds, and saw one stoic doctor rush past me, murmuring to himself. I ignored it, and went straight to her office.

Her office was compact to say the least, it had only a small desk area, and a love seat that was a light shade of pink, just like the walls of the room. The desk was a bit cluttered, and I saw Mikan sitting at her computer. I walked over to her, and placed my head on her shoulder.

"Whatcha workin' on?"

She jumped.

"Eeeek! M-Mondo, p-please don't scare me like that...!"
"Sorry, sorry, I shoulda said somethin' when I walked...anyways, what are you doing? Some doctory stuff?"
"U-Um, yes! I am updating one of my patients profiles...I'll be just a second..."

She continued to type furiously, and I plopped down on the love seat, staring up at the ceiling.

Mikan finished up typing her report, and turned to face me. I noticed she was a little fidgety, she kept fiddling with her uneven strands of hair.

"I-I'm done...w-was there something you wanted to talk about Mondo?"
"Nah, I just wanted to see ya. Anything interesting happenin' lately?"
"W-Well, one of my p-patients just recovered from a v-very high fever...they had some symptoms such as v-vomiting, and increase in b-bodily fluids...they were released today though! I-It made me so happy, I-I thought I w-would burst!"

A small and cute smile played on her face, which unfortunately disappeared as she began to talk again.

"O-Oh I'm sorry Mondo, I-I didn't mean to smile...I bet it looked so g-gross! P-Please forgive me!"
"Ya don't hafta apologize fer somethin' like that...it was cute."

I mumbled the last bit, and I felt my face heat up as I realized I said that out loud. Mikan had noticed as well, and her face had gone completely red.

"M-Mondo?! Wh-Wh-What are you s-saying...?"
"Shit, sorry, sorry, I, umm...shit! Just forget I said that!"
"O-Okay..."

I saw her look away, seeming hurt, and felt a little bit bad about it.

An awkward silence settled throughout the room, and Mikan began playing with her hair again.

"Hey, um...is somethin' wrong?"
"H-Huh?! Wh-Where did you possibly get an idea like that f-from...?"
"I knew it! See, you've been fiddlin' with yer hair, and seeming like something wrong...er, I don't mean to pry but...if somethin' is wrong, you can talk to me!"