California?

Chapter 29

California?

Third person

"Remember that time Zach fell from the tree?" Nancy chuckled, "I was worried we'd have to go to the hospital in those ridiculous disguises!"

"They're not ridiculous, I love that tux!" Unicorn defended with a grin on his face.

"They're a little ridiculous." George pointed out not looking up from cooing at Trudy. They had all come to the agreement that Elizabeth's name sucked and Trudy wasn't as awful as Gertrude.

"Oh George!" They groaned. This was a common occurrence.

"I'm sorry but you dressed Zachicorn in a freaking polar bear costume."

"You're point?" Zach asked with raised eyebrow.

George sighed, he'd never win with these people. "Fine, so not ridiculous." He remarked sarcastically.

They all look at each other and chuckled at their idiot escapades. Even George.

"I'm going to miss you guys when I-" Zach suddenly stopped himself.

They all look at him.

"When I move to California..." He said quietly before running out the door.

Drew and Caroline had heard him say this from their spot at the bar. Drew's head shot to the door.

"What?"

*********************************************
Drew pov

California? California? The word buzzed in my head as I headed towards Zach's front door. I knew Caroline was going to New York. I'd accepted it actually, but Zach. We'd never spoken about it, I just assumed we'd stay together after graduating. I'd just assumed-

California.

The word kept spinning in my head. I felt like that little 8th grader with no friends, no love, no life. I didn't want that, I didn't want to be that kid again. The lonely, lost little boy again.

I slowly walked into Zach's house, a couple pairs of shoes that belong to me sat by the front door. I stared at them. Things would be different.

I heard singing coming from upstairs, It was captivating and sad and anguished. I wandered upstairs to find Zach on his bed, a guitar sat in his lap. He was so captured into the song he didn't notice me watching him. He looked conflicted.

I knocked on the door breaking him out of his song. His head shot up, "Drew..."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked genuinely curious.

"About California?" He looked guilty

"No. That you're freaking talented. I knew you were smart but God Zach you're like a double threat. What else can you do?"

Zach blushed, "Well I can-"

"Rhetorical question." I interrupted, "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I just, I started singing when we were on our friendship break and I just didn't feel like bragging. And the whole California thing, I'm not certain I want to go. I mean I don't want to leave you and I'm not that good and-" He gave me a weak smile.

I realized keeping Zach from his dreams was selfish, exactly what I had promised not to be after the fire nonsense. "You're going." I stated firmly.

"Wha- What?" He looked shocked, "But-"

"Zach you're amazing, you need to follow your dreams. Change is hard, but it'll be worth it. In the long run." I genuinely smiled at him. It was time for us all to move on from our years of hip attachment.