How Could You Be So Irresponsible?

Chapter 26

How Could You Be So Irresponsible?

"Dress cutely and meet me outside." Caroline said without even a greeting.

"What?" I yawned, but she already hung up on me. It took me a moment to process what she told me and even still I was confused.

What did she mean by dress cutely. Does she think I'm cute? Of course I am. Of course she does. So do I dress like I normally do? Is that dressing cutely? I need Zach's help.

"Zach, can yo-" I started as I walked into the guest bedroom he slept in most nights. I looked around, perplexed by what I saw.

"Huh? Oh hey Drew... Ha... I can explain this..." He nodded to his handcuffed self laying over the turned over bed. The room was a mess.

"The explanation better be that you're a werewolf and last night was a full moon." I crossed my arms, momentarily forgetting what I went there for.

"Actually, I just didn't want to sleep walk last night so I handcuffed myself to the bed again only this time i made sure not to lose the key. I hung it on the wall over next to me. But sleeping Zach didn't like that and tried to get the key, I guess. Apparently sleeping Zach was so set on escaping that I turned the bed over and tried to balance myself arms somehow to get the key with my legs, as I can put together by the developing bruises and the scrapes all over my arms. Anyways I failed and woke up, and have been like this since about just before sunrise because I didnt plan for overturning the bed." He smiled sheepishly at me. I could tell he was waiting for me to get the key.

"Oh you loveable idiot. What would I ever do to keep myself occupied without you." I sighed and walked over to the key on the wall when Caroline called me again.

"What are you doing? I called you like half an hour ago. Its rude to make people wait, you know. You better look extra cute when you come outside!" She said jokingly. I laughed and told her I'd be out in 20 minutes.

"Alright, where was I?" I looked at Zach still in his weird position. He rolled his eyes at me and tried to move his hands to where i could easily unlock them. Once I freed him, he rubbed his red wrists painfully. I gave him a minute to comfort himself and told him what I needed help with.

"Oh, thats easy! Just wear casual clothes. Its pretty cold out still so maybe wear a sweater and some of your nicer jeans." He said as he pulled out a sweater and some jeans from my closet.

"And maybe... Yeah! These are perfect!" He pulled out some simple fall boots, even though it was closer to the end of winter.

I thanked Zach and let him fix his injuries while I got ready. I high fived Zach on the way out of the house and told him I'd be back later. Caroline was waiting in her light blue old lady car that looked like it was older than her. I knew she bought it herself off of craigslist when she was 16 and she was extremely proud of it so I didn't bring up the fact that her passenger seat had a spring sticking out of the bottom.

"So, where are we going?" I asked her.

She smiled at me, which totally made my heart pound a million time in that very second.

"It's a surprise." She pulled the car into drive, as in literally had to yank the gearshift into drive. She quickly looked up at me and gave me a reassuring smile, although I had a terrifying realization at that moment. This was my first time seeing my girlfriend drive.

I tried to let go of my feeling of terror. She couldn't be as bad as Zach, and even if she was Zach has never killed me before so I'd survive. Just as I let out a sigh of relief, the car jerked forward. I clicked my seatbelt on with a speed I'd never felt before.