Come Visit Us Again Nancy!

Chapter 5

Come Visit Us Again Nancy!

After about fifteen minutes of the shock of us working together Caroline lessened the intensity of her glares while she toured us around the Diner.

Zach was still shocked though, "I can't believe she can talk! I mean I'm flabbergasted, absolutely flabbergasted!" He whispered.

"Hey Drew I used look a big word! You proud? I bet you're proud." He kept nudging me.

"Sooo proud...." I replied sarcastically.

Zach didn't pick up on the sarcasm and kept rambling on how shocked he was on how Caroline wasn't a mute.

"Are you even paying attention?" Caroline muttered, hand on hip, with a bored look on her face.

Zach shook his head, I nodded.

When I realized Zach wasn't nodding I slapped his forehead and glared.

He gave me a confused look, "What did I do?"

"It's like watching dumb and dumber." Caroline sighed.

Off-handedly Elizabeth walked past our tour group and yelled, "Dumber and dumbest!" And then kept going.

Again with the fighting words! Geesh.

"Pay attention or I'm going to give you guys to her!"

Somewhere from the back I heard, "Like hell you are!"

"This place isn't that big, and considering that you guys are, as I said before, incompetent, you probably will be working as waiters. All you have to do it walk up to a table with this notepad and ask for their order." Caroline explained as she handed both of us a notepad.

"There's no way you guys could mess this up. It's just speaking and writing. As long as you aren't illiterate, you'll be fine." she said as she looked at Zach.

"Oh, I can read and write. Your dad already asked, so no worries." he answered while looking like a five year old showing his parents a drawing.

"Great." Caroline answered him sarcastically.

"So, let's do a little test run. Go to those two tables and take their orders. They're regulars so if you guys mess up it won't mess the diner's rep." She pointed us toward two tables.

One of the tables had an elderly couple who were more wrinkled than a Shar-pei. The second table had a middle-aged woman who was looking down at her phone. Zach and I walked toward the tables and stopped once we stood next to the woman sitting alone.

"Hi, my name is Zach and this is my best friend, Andrew. What's your name?" Zach asked.

"Nancy. I've never seen you boys around before. Are you new?"

"Yeah. We were actually hired like a minute ago. Just doing a test run to see what we're good at." This time I answered her.

"Why are you sitting here all alone?" The idiot asked why I mentally face palmed.

"Oh, I just got out of a doctor's appointment." Nancy answered with a sad smile.

"Oh no, I hope everythings fine, Nancy." Zach exclaimed while he slid into a seat. I sat down next to him.

"Actually, I have to go in for an operation soon for my knee. Kind of a bummer because I'm really active and now I have to slow down. Stupid aging." We chuckled at the last part.

"Hopefully this surgery will help you become MORE active, instead of slowing you down."

"Thanks. Andrew, was it? That isn't the worst part. The worst part is that my dog just died. My daughter is off at college and now I'm at home alone." I felt bad for Nancy.