Quality People

Chapter 3

Quality People

"I just don't understand why no one has hired us yet! We are quality people!" Zach pouted.

We were yet again walking out of a business unemployed.

We lived in a relatively small town and most people already knew who we were. Half the businesses we walked into saw us from a glance and would start screaming 'Get out! Get out!'

I'm pretty sure one guy was about to have a heart attack.

I guess they were afraid we'd set things on fire. Hmm I guess I can't blame them. I mean there was the tree house, and that cat, oh and that bench....well you get the picture...

"Hey, Zach, lets drive a bit further out of town and see what we can find."

He nodded his head, "good idea!"

We drove about ten minutes out of town before the car stopped. It totally stopped.

I glanced at Zach and could see he had his thinking face on.

All of suddenly I hear a slight "oops" from his side of the car.

Frustrated, I asked, "what is oops Zach? Why did the car stop?"

He mumbled under his breath so I wouldn't hear him.

"C'mon buddy, out with it!"

"Gas...I forgot gas..."

"Dude, seriously? That was supposed to be fake. What, is Bigfoot gonna come steal our car now? Are we gonna get abducted by aliens?"

"I'm not kidding. I forgot to put gas in the car."

I let out a loud sigh. "Well what do we do now? The nearest gas station is back in town and we are 10 minutes away by car. Imagine how long it'll take walking!"

"Um... There's a place right up there. Maybe we could stay in there for a bit while we figure out what to do."

"That's the smartest thing that has ever come out of your mouth."

******

We stepped into the building, which I now knew was a diner. Haywood's Diner.

"This place has a good feel. we might as well eat while we're here.", Zach commented as we walked into the diner.

The diner had a homey feel to it, like I could just chill here and feel really good. All the furniture was really antique and cool. Also some really hip music was playing from the speakers. It was absolutely perfect.

"Zach!" I whispered and hit him in the stomach.

"WHAT! WHAT DID I DO!" He jumped, his eyes wide and alarmed.

I laughed, "Nothing! I have an idea! We should get a job here!"

Zach's eyes widened. "You're so right! It's perfect because it's old! If we burn it down it won't be a big deal!"

*Facepalm*

We walked up to the counter and sat on two of the stools. A brunette woman named Elizabeth came over to us. She had a 'I'm better than you' vibe about her, as well as an annoyed look on her face.

"What do you want?" She asked boredly.

"Job applications!" Zach exclaimed.

She narrowed her hazel eyes, "No."

Zach pouted, "pleaaaaseeeee, pleeeeasssee, pretty pleaaaseeee!"

He slowly moved off his stool to the floor on his knees. "PLEASE! NO ONE WANTS US!" He begged.

Her lips pursed, "Stop doing that you weirdo!"

An older gentlemen, with a name tag stating B.R.U.H walked over to us looking really confused. Probably because of Zach's position on the floor. Then he saw Elizabeth's expression and a light bulb clicked on.

"Elizabeth? Are you berating customers again? If you're gonna be mean at least let them sit in a chair. Tsk tsk!" He teased. Elizabeth just huffed and walked away.

He then turned to us, "Ignore her, she's quite hormonal these days."

We raised an eyebrow or two but didn't ask him to go into details.

"What can I do for you two?" He questioned.

"PLEASEEEE PLEASEEEE PLEASSEEE!" Zach continued to beg, not realizing we had yet to explain our situation to this gentleman.

The man gave him a perplexed look but otherwise kept quiet.

"We were looking for a job?" I asked.

He tilted his head to the side, "YOU want ME to hire two entirely irresponsible looking teenage boys, one who is on the dirty floor begging like an idiot and one who wouldn't know how to pick smarter friends! Into my FAMILY BUSINESS OF ALL PLACES!"

I slowly backed away ready to make a break for it, but then I was stopped by his next words.

"That's a great idea!" He exclaimed, running around the corner for job applications.

"We need more help around here! And I'm the only guy! I'm about to go insane!" He joked while handing us the job applications.

"You do have to actually apply though, paperwork and all that stuff you know!" He winked.

I just stared, shocked after his rampage. Zach was running around 'wooing' and waving the application around.

Once I recollected myself I yelled at Zach to stop!

"C'mon buddy! Let's fill them out!"

Zach obediently flopped into a booth with me on his tail.

Zach looked at the application confused, "Drew? What's my address?"

I sighed, this was gonna take a while...