Chapter 13

Russell couldn't believe what he had done the previous night. Sure, he had planned on getting somewhere with Sal, but he didn't think it would actually happen.

Although he wasn't sure what to do about him anymore. Sal had declared his love for him, and made out with him. But then he shoved him away like it meant nothing. Like he was disgusted.

Sal couldn't have been too disgusted though, because he woke him up with a kiss, and was now asking the stupidest question of all time.

"You really like me?" Sal asked. "In that way?"

"Yes, I really like you in that way." Russell picked at the bowl of cereal in his hand. The two were still in their pajamas, sitting on the bedroom floor. "How many times do I have to tell you?"

"It happened so fast," Sal said. "You came over uninterested and by the end of the night, you couldn't keep your hands off me."

"I wasn't uninterested. You just can't take a hint."

"Like you can." Sal shoved a spoonful of cereal in his mouth.

"I knew about your little crush long before last night."

Sal narrowed his eyes. "How?"

"You're obvious, that's how. I always thought it was cute."

"Cute?" Sal clinked his spoon against the bowl. "There is nothing cute about me."

"Fine. Adorable." Russell set his hand on Sal's knee, which felt about as scrawny as his arm.

"Does this make us boyfriends now?" Sal asked.

Russell watched him set his cereal bowl aside. Dating Sal would be an interesting experience, and he really could use the stress relief. Plus he had a feeling Sal associated making out with exclusive dating. And Russell longed to make out with him again, among other things. "If that's what you want."

At those words, Sal tackled him in a hug, burying his face in his chest. "It's all I've ever wanted these past couple months."

"Good to know you don't want much." Russell kissed the top of his head. "I hate to tell you this, but my parents want me home in, like, 20 minutes."

Sal released his hold on Russell and glanced over at his clock. "It's only 12. Who leaves a sleepover this early?"

"Someone with parents who set strict boundaries. They're upset enough that I'm missing church for this."

"I thought you were going to tell them you were going to St. Whoever's with me?"

And Russell almost had. He knew his parents would make a big deal over him missing church for a sleepover with a friend they didn't care for. And they did. But before Russell could put a word in, they reluctantly agreed to letting him stay over. "I almost did, but my parents agreed before I could say anything. Which is probably a good thing, because they could end up going there today just to see me and meet your foster parents."

"Who would even do that?"

"My parents." Russell leaned the back of his head against the wall, letting out a sigh. "There's a few things you should know about them."

"I think I know more than enough about them."

"We haven't even scraped the surface." Russell didn't even know where to begin with them. "They're strict."

"I've already guessed that much," Sal said.

"I get yelled at for being late, or whenever I make a mistake."