Chapter 11

It had been several weeks since Sal met Russell's parents. And every day after, Russell and Sal had spent their lunch time together.

"You are so lucky to be privileged enough to eat with someone as amazing and gorgeous as myself." Sal took a sip of water to unstick his tongue from the roof of his mouth. The one downside of peanut butter. He smacked his lips. "Normally I'd never let someone as pathetic as you eat lunch with me."

"Lucky me," Russell said.

"And I still don't like you. I just feel sorry for you." Sal shoved the last bit of sandwich in his mouth.

Russell shook his head. "You're a real pain in the butt."

"I'll give you a pain in the butt," Sal said.

Russell grinned. "I didn't know you were into that."

Sal grew hot, and turned his face away from Russell.

Russell gave his shoulder a nudge, sending a rush of shivers down his spine. "You blush so easily."

"I'm not blushing," Sal said quickly. "I never blush. What are you talking about?"

"You're blushing right now."

Sal covered the side of his face with his hand. "No I'm not."

"Then why won't you look at me?"

"Because I can't stand to-"

Russell grasped Sal's chin and turned his head towards him, Sal too startled and weak to protest. His entire body tingled as he gazed into Russell's tropical ocean-blue eyes, and glanced away when he remembered that his own eyes were the color of fecal matter.

Russell ran his thumb over the side of Sal's jaw, Sal melting at the touch. "Are you trying to grow a beard or something?"

"What?" Sal pulled away from Russell's hand, and rubbed his jawline.

"Your face feels stubbly, like you need to shave. Except you have nothing to shave. You suck at growing facial hair."

Russell's facial hair had grown in beautifully, so Sal couldn't think of any good comebacks. It didn't help that he had been trying to grow a beard. His latest ploy to win Russell over was to grow facial hair, in case Russell was into facial hair. There goes that idea, Sal thought. He made a mental note to start shaving again. Then, he remembered that he didn't have anything to shave and wondered why he ever bothered to do so in the first place. How can I ever win Russell's heart if I can't even grow a beard?

An idea struck him.

"Wanna spend the night at my house tomorrow?" Sal asked, avoiding Russell's eye. "I mean, I know you never have anything better to do and I have nothing going on this weekend. It's a rare opportunity."

"Fun. I'll have to ask my parents though," Russell said, smiling. "I'll text you when I know for sure."

"Except for the part where I never gave you my number." Sal slid his phone out from his pocket, and pulled up his contacts.

"Good idea." Russell took out his phone, and the two exchanged numbers.

* * * * *

"Tonight's the night, Mouser." Sal hit his fist in his palm. "The night I'll win Russell's heart."

Sal had spent all day on the internet, searching for advice on winning over men. It all summed down to looking attractive, giving compliments, and being respectful. Funny how those are the same things that would win me over, Sal thought. Looking attractive was easy enough, since Sal already thought himself attractive. Compliments and respect, however, would be the hard part. He wondered if he could just impress Russell instead. Sal thought himself a man of many skills, so impressing Russell should make up for not complimenting or respecting him.