Chapter 25: Just a Dream

Song: Just a Dream

By: Carrie Underwood 

I walk into school, internally praying that no one notices the slightly off color on my neck. The bruise is starting to look better but is still noticeable and my attempts at replicating Chloe's handiwork didn't end up as planned. 

It looks like I have a small patch of darker skin on my neck. I let out a sigh as I wrap the scarf tighter around my neck. Yeah, I never wear scarves, even in the cold weather I can't stand them.  I pull it tighter again as I shift my backpack and get closer to my classroom. 

I'm almost there when all of the sudden I feel arms wrap around my waist and a breath appear on my neck. I jump in surprise and turn to see one of the guys who had walked in with Blake to class yesterday staring at me with a grin. 

"So you're the girl who's got Blake wrapped around her finger." I watch his eyes trail over my body, stopping at where my scarf is clinging to my neck. "What are you trying to hide?" He looks at me in amusement and I attempt to push away from him, feeling rising discomfort fill my chest. 

"Please let go." I beg him and he shakes his head as he turns me and slams me against the lockers. I wince in pain as tears spring into my eyes. "No way, you are way too interesting. I mean, I've seen better looking girls but there must be something about you that keeps him talking about you all the time." I stare at him fearfully as he stares at me, coming closer and closer. 

What is it with these boys and invading my personal space?! I wonder as I reach up to push him away. Stupid baby strength! You always fail me! I scream internally as he rolls his eyes at my attempt. "Maybe I should find out what you're hiding myself." He says as he reaches to take my scarf away. 

He has his hand on the scarf when a fist connects with his face, sending him skidding a few feet, taking my scarf with him. I feel an arm wrap around my waist and bring me to the side of none other than Blake. I look at him in surprise and almost say something when I see the furious look on his face. 

I look around to see a crowd forming and attempt to move away but Blake's grip only tightens. I am literally like a five year old compared to everyone else strength wise. I sigh at the thought before turning my attention back to the events happening around me. 

They guy who had me pinned is standing with one hand rubbing his jaw and the other clenched around my scarf. "What's the big idea, Blake?!" He asks in anger as he takes a threatening step forward, causing me to shrink back against Blake. 

"Don't mess with her." Blake's voice is cold with no emotion and I feel fear hit me as I try to distance myself from him to no avail. He only pulls me closer, pressing me against his side as if he's afraid I'll disappear. 

"Mess with her? Why not? Since when do you care about sharing one of your girl's?" He asks in confusion as he throws my scarf down. They both glare at one another and I look over to see Chloe staring at me with wide eyes.

'Help me', I mouth and she looks around in panic before shrugging. She doesn't know what to do to help and honestly, I can't think of anything that she could do without hurting herself in the process. I give her an understanding look as I turn back to see the guy stepping closer.

"She's not one to share and if you mess with her again you'll get a lot worse than a punch to the face." Why does he care. I wonder as I stare up at Blake in surprise. The guy looks absolutely shocked as he gives Blake a weird look. "You know, you've been acting really weird since you left all summer. It's like you aren't even the same person anymore. I thought it might be because you're still getting used to civilization again, but I can't see you ever going back to being the friend I knew."

None of this seems to effect Blake as he stares at the guy blankly as if he could care less about what he thinks. I briefly wonder what the guy's talking about when Blake says, "I never claimed to be who I used to be, and I don't really care what you think of me either. I could honestly care less what you do with your life either but if you mess with her, you're going to have to fight me, and I think we both know who'll win." 

The guy looks like he wants to argue about that but thinks better of it and turns to walk away but stops and says, "Why don't you ask her what's she's hiding before you get too close. It seems like she might have another guy giving her hickeys." 

Blake grins at this before slowly shaking his head and replying, "The only one giving her hickeys are me, so there's no need to worry yourself about that." I feel my face turn lava red as I stare up at him in horror. For the first time since the argument started he looks down at me and smirks.

"Now you don't have to worry about hiding it anymore." He whispers to me and I quickly pull away. I notice the guy had already disappeared into the crowd and I quickly run over to grab my scarf off the ground before wrapping it around my neck tightly once more. 

"Everyone already knows, there's no reason to be ashamed." Blake comments and I shoot him a glare before walking towards class which I'm sure almost everyone will be late for. "Oh come on Marcy. I was just having a little fun." Blake says as he follows me into class before taking the seat behind me.

"This is literally your second day at this school and you are already bringing more attention than necessary to me." I snap at him as the teacher shoots us glares to quiet us down. We are silent while the rest of the watching crowd walks in, casting me strange looks as they do.

"Stay away from Ben, he's trouble." Blake whispers after a few moments, revealing the name of the guy, and I let out a soft laugh. "And you're not trouble?" I ask and I turn to see him grin before leaning forward and whispering, "I'm the good kind of trouble." I laugh again before leaning away and replying, "I didn't know there was a good kind." 

I hear him chuckle behind me before he leans forward and whispers, "There's definitely a good kind and it's always been me."