“Oh my God, Emery.” I fall back down beside him and weave our fingers together again. “That fucking blows.”

He smirks. “Tell me about it.”

“Don’t do that.” I say, harshly.

“Do what?” he asks, looking at me confusedly.

“Don’t smile like that. It’s not your real smile.” I say, insistently. He smiles again; his real smile this time, and it’s contagious.

I smile back at him and he moves his face forward to push his lips onto mine again. I let him, relishing the soft feeling of his lips on mine.

I suck on his bottom lip gently and he smiles. Then the kiss deepens and his hands cradle my face, stroking my jaw with his thumb.

Somehow he ends up on top of me and I wrap my arms around him, clutching fistfuls of his shirt in my hands.

His tongue traces my bottom lip, teasingly, as if asking for entry, which I instantly allow. Unable to stop myself, I moan into his mouth and he tangles his fingers into my hair.

“Luke! Honey, I’m home!”

Emery immediately pulls away from me and we both stare at my door, wide-eyed. Emery climbs off of me and we both quickly fix our hair and clothes so we don’t look too messy and disheveled.

“Holy shit.” I breathe and Emery chuckles nervously. “Okay, you ready for this?” I ask.

He raises his eyebrows at me. “Ready for what exactly?”

“Lying.” I say, simply.

He stares at me. “You really want there to be…something to lie about?”

I chuckle slightly at the way he phrased it and grab onto the back of his neck, pulling him into a quick kiss.

He closes his eyes and presses his forehead to mine, smiling.

“I am so happy right now.” He breathes.

I peck at his lips again. “Ready for the biggest performance of your life?”

He plants a soft kiss on my cheek and even when he pulls away, I feel the warmth of his lips remain on my face. “Let’s do it.”

We walk out of my room and head downstairs to the kitchen, where my mother is putting away groceries.

“Oh, hello.” She says, when she sees Emery and walks over to hold out her hand to him. “I’m Kelly, Luke’s mom.”

Emery shakes my mom’s hand. “Nice to meet you, Mrs. Adams. I’m Emery.” He says, tensely.

Mom raises her eyebrows at me. “Mrs. Adams? Wow, your new friend is much politer than Nate.”

I snicker and I see Emery lighten up slightly.

“Honestly, sweetheart, just call me Kelly.” My mom says, warmly.

Emery smiles and I can tell even my mom can see the way his entire face lights up. I’m tempted to just grab his face and kiss him again, but I hold myself back due to the presence of my mother.

“You staying for dinner, Emery?” Mom asks, already getting back to unpacking the groceries.

Emery and I look at each other, both of us waiting for the other to answer.

“No, thanks.” Emery says, hesitantly. “I should be getting home.”

“I’ll walk you to your car.” I say, and we both walk to the front door.