Chapter 28: Dumbledore's Challenge

Start from the beginning

"Yes. Mr. Potter, may I request the honor of a friendly duel between the two of us, in lieu of tonight's meeting?"

Harry's jaw dropped as he stared in stunned disbelief, Dumbledore's statement washing over him like a tidal wave. It didn't seem to actually register in his mind; it only echoed in his skull. Harry could hear sharp intakes of breath around the hall as the silence slowly transformed into a low murmur, before falling silent again. He felt every eye on him as the seconds ticked away.

He blinked and realized he hadn't yet said anything to Dumbledore. Harry willed his voice to work again, hoping that it didn't squeak. "A-a duel? Between me – and you?"

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Yes, Mr. Potter. Shall we say eight-thirty tonight, here in the Great Hall? Of course, for this occasion I think we could open it up to anyone who would care to witness the proceedings. Well then, I look forward to our match tonight. Good day, Mr. Potter." Dumbledore strode off, seeming to leave a vacuum in his wake.

Harry glanced desperately between Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. Ginny simply appeared shocked, and Ron had an expression of abject horror on his face. Hermione looked nervous, but thoughtful, and Harry thought he could almost see the wheels turning in her head, oddly giving him some comfort. He stared down at his abruptly inedible-looking breakfast, his gut feeling that nothing good could come from this.

Harry glanced at Ron, who looked absolutely awful. "What?" Harry asked.

"You... you've never seen a dueling tournament at the high levels, have you?" Ron asked, biting his fist.

"No..." Harry responded slowly.

Ron looked very reluctant. "Er, well, I mean... I'm not trying to scare you, mate..." He stopped.

Goose pimples rose on Harry's arms.

"At the level that Dumbledore duels... the very highest levels..." Ron started, but then couldn't continue.

"Just tell me," Harry said with gritted teeth.

"All right," Ron said, glancing at Harry, apparently deciding to say it straight out. "Um, losing wizards are usually carried out on stretchers at the end of a match. I mean, think about the spells you have to use in a high level duel, between the most powerful wizards in the world. Stupefy spells aren't going to cut it. Very strong spells are used."

Harry ran his fingers through his hair, feeling utterly out of his league in the whole thing.

"But... they usually try and make certain that no one dies," Ron said, evidently believing that would improve Harry's outlook.

Ginny put her hand on his shoulder and whispered in his ear. "Dumbledore has his reasons for asking you. Have confidence in yourself. You'll be great." Harry looked at her and smiled weakly. Ginny gave him an optimistic smile back.

"You're going to have to choose a second," Ron said, still looking very nervous.

Harry immediately turned to Hermione and asked pleadingly, "You'll be my second, won't you?"

"Of course I will, Harry," Hermione appeared to be recovering from the shock.

Harry realized that he might have been rude. He glanced nervously between Ron and Ginny. "Um, Ginny, Ron..."

Ron waved him off. "Don't even think it, Harry. There is no way I want anyone else other than Hermione next to you." Hermione flushed at the praise.

"It's not even a question," Ginny said firmly. "Ron and I will be there, of course, but we all know that Hermione knows more than all of us put together."