Chapter 17: Ginny's Dream

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 17: Ginny's Dream

* * *

Harry walked down an odd, dark corridor, the high walls at strange angles relative to the floor, almost seeming to curve claustrophobically over his head. Angry looking portraits lined the walls, causing him to feel fearful as they gave him strange leers, some even calling out to him.

"Why are you here?" said one. "This is a sacred place."

"You do not belong here," said another sternly.

Harry continued walking slowly, the words making him flinch. He wasn't certain why he was there, but he knew he needed to move forward, ever forward. To go backward was out of the question.

He passed an enormous portrait, with curtains in front. Suddenly the curtains snapped open, revealing Mrs. Black. She screeched loudly, causing pain to flair in Harry's ears.

"Mudbloods! Half-bloods! Muggles! They're all the same! Kill them all... String them up with the rest of the traitors!" she screamed. "You! Boy! What are you doing in my house? Did you come to kill more of my family?"

Harry felt extremely angry. He suddenly realized he was holding the knife that Sirius had given him, the knife that had melted in the Department of Mysteries.

"Filthy boy! Dirty half-blood! You soil my house... my house! The sacred house of the Blacks... how dare you despoil it, when you killed the last of them! Did you kill him just so you could inherit my house? Did you kill him for our money?"

Harry screamed in anger, a primal noise. He lifted the knife in both hands and plunged it into the painting. Mrs. Black shrieked as blood poured out of the painting, drenching Harry. Still he continued cutting the painting, pushing his way into it. He finally broke through, entering a chamber – the death chamber. He saw the ragged curtains of the arch... he felt a strange attraction to it... maybe he could enter it and find Sirius...

Abruptly Harry felt an extremely odd shift, the world seeming to spin around on a bizarre axis. He flew through a tunnel, lights flying past him as went on a long journey...

He dropped onto the ground. He smelled grass under his nose, and then noticed he was in a very pleasant forest. Sunlight was streaming through the trees, and he thought he could hear a babbling brook nearby. He felt extremely confused; in fact, he felt confused that he was even aware of feeling confused.

Am I dreaming? he thought vaguely, before even that thought left him as he got up from the grass. The brook sounded nice, so he headed in that direction. The sun was warm... so warm in this place. He recalled having been somewhere else recently, but the memory of that place was fading quickly, and somehow he knew that was good, although he wasn't certain why.

He heard wonderful singing ahead. He smiled, enjoying the sound of the music. He crept up, wondering who was there. Peeking around a tree, he saw a girl with long, red hair bathing in the brook. He felt extremely shy, and turned away, just listening to her sing.

He heard her exiting the brook with a small splash, feeling tempted to look, but resisting. One must be chivalrous about these things. 'Chivalrous?' he thought dimly. When do I ever use that word? The thought left him as he continued listening. He reckoned she was getting dressed, as he heard the rustle of material.

When he thought it was safe, he peeked around the tree again. The girl with the long, red hair was dressed in a rose-colored, flowing gown. Her delicate, fair-skinned shoulders were visible, framing her graceful neck. Harry was enraptured looking at the incredibly beautiful lady that was before him.