Chapter 7: Girls, Goblins and Getaways

Start from the beginning

"All right, Ron, how about yours?" said Ginny, with a smile.

Ron looked at the letter on the table like it might explode in his face if he opened it. "I-I can't." He reached over, grabbed the letter, and thrust it at Ginny. "Here, you do it."

"Honestly, Ron. Are you a Gryffindor or aren't you?" She opened the letter, taking out an official looking piece of parchment. She took her time reading it over, expressionless.

"Well?" said Ron with exasperation.

Ginny looked at her brother with a sad expression. "I'm sorry, Ron," she said as she patted his shoulder. Ron looked stricken.

"Hermione beat you. Only eight OWLs," she said, her face breaking up in a laugh.

"Eight?" he said, as if the number wasn't quite registering.

"Oh Ron! I'm so proud of you!" Hermione said. She jumped up, hugging him excitedly.

"Eight bloody OWLs?" He grabbed the letter back from Ginny and skimmed it quickly. "I passed Potions!"

He turned to Hermione. "Thank you, thank you," he said sincerely. "I couldn't have done it without your help." Hermione blushed deeply at this, and Ron looked uncomfortable about his emotional outburst as well.

"Well done, Ron," said Harry, grinning at him.

Ron cleared his throat. "Well, Harry, how about yours?" he asked.

Harry took a breath as he reached for his letter. He opened it up and began reading. He felt a sinking feeling as he read the contents.

"What's the matter? How many?" said Ginny.

"Oh, uh, nine, I guess," Harry said.

"That's great, mate! Congratulations!" said Ron enthusiastically.

"Yes, Harry! That's wonderful!" said Ginny.

"What's the matter, Harry? Those results are fantastic!" said Hermione.

Harry passed his letter over. Hermione read it over, looking distressed as she realized the problem. "Oh, Harry, an 'E' in Potions, but..."

"McGonagall said that Snape only accepts Outstanding potion OWLs in his N.E.W.T. classes, and to be an Auror I need to take advanced Potions," said Harry, his face a mask.

"I bet if you spoke to McGonagall or Dumbledore, they would make Snape take you!" said Ron.

"No," said Harry forcefully.

"But Harry, you need Potions! And if Snape wasn't such a horrible teacher, you would have received an 'O'!" said Hermione.

"No! It's done!" said Harry, angrily.

"But why? Harry, if anyone should be an Auror, it's you!" said Hermione fervently.

"Stop!" Harry shouted, losing his temper. "I'm not going to talk to bloody McGonagall or bloody Dumbledore! I messed up, I don't deserve the class!" Harry stood up, knocking his chair to the floor. "Now drop it!" He stalked out of the kitchen.

He went to the living room and slumped into a chair. He already felt guilty about yelling at Ron and Hermione. He wasn't even sure why he had become so angry. He buried his face into his hands, tears threatening to burn his eyes. He pulled them back, struggling for control over himself. The memory of McGonagall at his career meeting came back to him.

"Potter, I will assist you to become an Auror if it is the last thing I do!" she had said.

Harry felt a deep shame, thinking that he had let her down. What other career could he do? He had no idea. Becoming an Auror was the only thing he had ever thought about. Maybe he could talk to McGonagall or Dumbledore about Snape, but he just felt a deep aversion to the whole idea.