Beauty and the Beat (19)

Start from the beginning

No, I had many worries. If Maxxon didn’t show up at all, I wouldn’t have been able to dance. I would be skipped and everyone else would get to dance. I would have gotten dressed up for nothing. I would have done my hair and makeup for nothing. I would have wasted all this time with Maxxon for nothing!

I couldn’t let this happen. If he didn’t get here, he was going to pay. I didn’t know how, but he was. I was going to make sure of it.

Normally, I wasn’t nervous before I went out on stage. I knew what I was doing. I absolutely loved to dance. But now that there was a huge chance I wouldn’t even get to go on, my stomach was twisting and turning and I felt like I was going to throw up.

When I heard footsteps coming toward me, I spun around. I gasped when I saw that it was in fact Maxxon coming toward me. I would have hugged him if I still wasn’t mad at him for making me worry so much.

“Oh, thank goodness you're here!” I cried out, immediately making my way toward him but stopping dead in my tracks when I saw his foot. A cast. “Please tell me that's a boot and it's a part of your costume.”

He smiled sheepishly at me. “It's a boot and it's a part of my costume.”

“You idiot!” I shouted, hitting him in the stomach as many times as I could. “Now neither of us are going to be able to dance and it's all your fault! You're so stupid!”

“Ow, ow!” he cried out, trying his hardest to defend himself, but failing miserably. “Is hurting me even more going to help anything?”

“Maybe!”

I couldn't believe this. I couldn't believe that this was actually happening! I knew something bad would come out of Maxxon riding that stupid skateboard and I didn't try hard enough to stop him! This was my fault!

I was about to ruin my mask with my tears. And that would suck because it was pretty and expensive.

A new voice now cut in with, “Maxxon, what the hell?”

We turned around to see Ethan, his eyes wide when he saw Maxxon's ankle. Maxxon, however, glared at our teacher.

“I thought teachers weren't supposed to swear,” he smirked.

Ethan rolled his eyes. “Alright then. What the heck did you do to your ankle?”

“It's a long story that we don't have the time for right now,” I interrupted before Maxxon could answer him. “The better question is what the hell am I supposed to do now?”

Maxxon tsked jokingly. “Look at the two of you swearing. I might have to tell the teacher on you. Oh, wait.”

I bashed him right in the stomach. He doubled over and I shouted, “Now is not the time for your obnoxious remarks!”

Ethan now turned toward me. “Sadie, you have to go out there,” he said.

“What?” I nearly choked on nothing. “Are you kidding me? I can't go out there! I don't even have a partner!”

Ethan let out a sigh. “Sadie. Just get on stage. Just go out there.”

“Go out there?” I repeated in disbelief. “What am I supposed to do without a partner?”

Maxxon shrugged. “Just... improvise something.”

“Improvise something?” I nearly shouted again. “Improvise something? You want me to improvise to Beauty and the Beast? By myself? Do you want me to hit you again?”

“Sadie,” Ethan now said warningly. “Just go out there. You'll be okay. Trust me.”

The dance started with me on stage and Maxxon off of it. We were the first dance of the night. The curtains were supposed to open with me on stage, and then Maxxon coming out from the back. Were we going to start the show off with a disaster?