Chapter 11

I wake up under the stars with pain surging through my leg. I faintly remember the bear. I look to my side to see Journey and a deer both with their eyes close. I sit up against a tree and reach down to my leg. It's bleeding and shaking. I remove the wrapping and reveal deep cuts going from my calf to my ankle. "What do you think you're doing?!" Journey shouts. She makes me jump and I start putting the wrapping back on. "I was just looking." I say back. She helps me wrap it tight around the wound and we both sit against the tree. "Where are the boys?" She sighs. "I don't know they whistled before you were attacked." I nod. "We should head back to the gym." She laughs. "Are you mental? You honestly think you can walk on that leg?" I lift myself on to my knees and wince in pain. I continue to try to get to my feet. I hold on to the tree trunk for support. Journey stands up and shakes her head. "You are an idiot." I smirk. "I know." We trudge through the woods. My leg burns and and I eventually lose all feeling. "I need to sit down." I say panting. I use a tree as a guide and sit down. Journey sits next to me and we both catch our breath. "Why don't you try whistling again." I say and she does. We hear nothing in return. "We have to get back. They could be in danger. Can you walk again?" She asks me, I bite my tongue and nod. I limp through the woods in extreme pain. Tears burn in the back of my eyes with every step. I feel the blood running down my leg and my vision gets blurry. Journey turns around and must see that I'm struggling because she walks back to me and grabs hold of my arm. "We're almost there." She says in a whisper. I nod and keep biting my lip to keep from screaming, or crying, or both. We walk until sun rise and eventually I see the gym. I sigh in relief. Journey ends up dragging me the rest of the way to the gym. When we get there Journey searches the other rooms for the boys. "They aren't here." Journey says after entering every room. I sigh. Why can't something just go right for once. We here a banging on the door. I grab Journey's gun and aim for the door. Journey moves toward the door and counts to 3 on her fingers than open it. She hides behind the door as a man dressed in all black comes in. He points the gun at me as I point at him. He shoots. I roll out of the way and shoot at him, hitting him in the stomach. Journey comes up behind him and kicks him in the back of the legs so he falls over and I shoot him in the chest. Journey drags him out of the gym. When she comes back in she comes over to me. I'm still stuck in the position I was in when I shot that man. She drags me over to a wall and starts to unwrap my bandages. My cuts must have burst open again because blood is everywhere. She presses cloth and bandages to try to stop the bleeding. My hand is still gripped on the gun, it's shaking violently. My wound seems to be bleeding even harder than before. My vision starts to get blurry from blood loss. Pain throbs through my leg and it becomes unbearable. My mind becomes fogged and I black out.

1 day later
I wake up to bright lights in my eyes. "Oh! Thank goodness you're awake!" Someone shouts. Journey. I seem to be laying on a mattress with a pillow under my head. Where are we? Journey helps me sit up. "Where are we?" She sits next to me. "Well after you blacked out I didn't know if you were going to make it but I got the bleeding down to a minimum, it eventually stopped. I carried you here. It isn't entirely empty so we can't use our powers  but there aren't many people here. I still can't find the boys. Wait! Did you bring a charger?" She rants. I nod and search for bag. Journey walks across the room and brings it back to where I'm sitting. I rummage through the bag until I find my computer and its charger. Journey plugs the charger into the wall and plugs my computer into it. We wait a few minutes for it to charge, then it turns on. She sets it on her lap and does a lot of technical things that I don't understand. She makes a satisfied noise and shows me the screen. "Okay, so this is where the Jerk is," she points to a location in California, "and we are here." She points to a city in Colorado. I try to follow everything she is saying, but I'm just so tired. I yawn and she shuts the laptop and lays down next to me. I do the same. My leg starts to throb and she gets off the bed and grabs a bottle. "Painkillers. Stole them from a gas station." She hands one to me and I take it. The pain soon numbs and Journey and I fall asleep. I really enjoy knowing this girl.

I wake up from the sun shining through the window. I turn over and see Journey peacefully sleeping. I get up using the wall and beside table as a guide. I go to the bathroom and wash my face and the blood everywhere. I brush my teeth and my hair and then walk back out into the room. As I head toward my laptop I stumble but catch myself on the dresser. I keep making my way to the computer. When I get there I open it up and browse for awhile until I come across an article. Death Toll Rises. I open up the article and read on. 234 people have died. I shut the laptop and lean back on the wall. How could we let this happen. That's when I remember. I killed too. As I once read in a book 'If you want to kill the humans, first you kill the humanity'.