Chapter 5

Francesca's POV
Journey is asleep in the back and I am driving through the countryside. We are on this crazy mission that I don't think we will be able to pull off. The car starts to go slower and I check the tank its full so why is it slowing down? It stops moving. "You have to be kidding me!" I scream. Journey jumps from the back seat. "Sorry. The engine just broke down." I get out the the car and pop the hood. "Do you even know what you are doing?" She asks me. "Your grandpa taught you to shoot mine taught me to fix a car." I try everything I can think of. "It's gone. I can't fix this." We both sigh and sit down. "Looks like we have to walk." She says. We grab our things out of the car. We walk in silence until we reach a small farm house with a barn. We both look at each other. "Let's do it." I say. What's life without a little risk? We slowly approach the house and I see that Journey has her hand on the gun. I walk up the stairs and knock on the door. Nobody answers so I kick down the door and walk in. Journey follows closely behind. I head for the kitchen and scrounge around the cabinets for anything edible. I find a loaf of bread, potato chips, and 3 boxes of granola bars. "Score!" I yell. Journey runs back in the room. "Ches you better look at this." I walk through the yellow painted hallway into a room. A woman I slumped over with a bottle in her hand. Tears spill over my eyes as I look at her. "Mom." I whisper. I walk over to her slowly. I bend over and take her pulse. There is nothing. She is dead. That's when I notice a gleaming around her throat. A locket. My grandma's locket. I unhook it from her sweaty neck and walk out of the room. Journey follows me. "Did you know that woman?" I turn around. Tears now steadily coming down my cheeks. "That was my mom." I choke out. She walks towards me and wraps her arms around me. I allow her to hug me. I pull away. "Come on we have a bad guy to defeat." She nods and we walk out of the house. I play with the locket around my neck. "I need a break." Journey says. So we take a break. We sit in the long grasses. That's when I hear something in the distance. A car. I crawl to the edge of the grasses taking Journey's gun with me. The car is a blue convertible with two boys in it. I run out in front of the car and the stop with a jerking halt. "What do you think you are doing!" One of them calls. I run up the car. "Please help me and my friend. We still have our powers. Our car, it broke down and I couldn't fix it. Please." I say the last part in a whisper. They look at each other. My cheeks are still wet. They look back at me, "Fine we will help you." I sigh, "Thank you." When I look closer at the boys I recognize one of them. "Jackson?" He smiles. "You know I never did catch your name." I run back into the field. I wake up Journey and hand her gun back. She looks startled and I tell her to follow me she does. We get in the car and I explain what happened. That's when Jackson speaks up. "When was the last time you've showered or slept?" I shrug. "I don't know. Since the day the news was hacked and everyone lost their powers." Journey nods. "Where are you guys going?" She asks. They shrug. "We don't know just trying not to get killed." Says the boy with dirty blonde hair and green eyes. "Do I know you? You look familiar." Journey asks. He nods. "I complimented your graffiti. I'm Hunter by the way. And that's Jackson." Jackson smirks. "Oh don't worry Ches knows who I am." I roll my eyes. "He bumped into me on the sidewalk and comes to my music shop. He's kind of a stalker." Then it's my turn to smirk. He laughs, "Oh I'm no stalker." Hunter laughs and hits him on the shoulder. We drive in silence for a while and that's when I drift off to sleep.

I wake up on a bare mattress with a blanket draped over me. I roll over to my side and see Jackson staring at me. "You know watching people sleep is creepy." He smiles, "Not if they have been passed out for two days due to exhaustion and an infection." Wait an infection?! "How did I get an infection and where is Journey?" I sit up. "Journey is in the room next to this one and she also has an infection. She hasn't woken up though. We think that the man who shut off the powers injected the infection into you guys." I lay back down trying to take in all this new information. "Do you still have your powers?" He asks me. I make a dark twisted vine come out of my hand and over his wrist then make it dissolve. He looks startled. "What kind of powers do you have?" He asks me. I hesitate, "Darkness." He nods. "I want to see Journey." He nods and helps me up. We walk to her room and see her still passed out. I walk over to the side of her bed. For some reason I miss her happy smile and kind words. She reminds me of my mother but I can't focus on my mother there are much bigger things happening. I play with my locket and open it up only to see my baby picture. I quickly snap it close. "Please wake up Journey, we have a bad guy to defeat remember?"