Chapter Twenty-Two

~Luna's POV~

I was the first to wake up, right at dawn, to hear the shouting of the crowd of humans. Quickly, I got to my feet, and began to run around the clearing, waking up the dragons that weren't waking themselves from the noise. The moment I turned to go find Jay, he appeared at the top of the hill, and began to call out orders to form lines.

I moved into the formation along with the rest of the dragons, staying in the back line as usual. I was nervous, seeing as I hadn't done anything concerning my powers since the first battle we had upon arriving here. The humans seemed to be pouring into the clearing, coming from a different direction than last time. They formed an unorganized blob on their end of the clearing, and they were taunting and jeering at us as they immediately began using their weapons against us. There were many more humans than the last time they attacked, and it caught us off guard as volleys of arrows and gunfire rained upon us.

Jay called out the order for the front line to begin their attack, and they obeyed immediately, fire and water and various other magic and elements being used to our advantage. Of course, none of it hit any humans; we only wanted to scare them away, hurting them as little as possible. However, after the last time we battled, they knew we wouldn't hurt them, and attacked us with their full force. Granted, it wasn't too much compared to a group of dragons, but it still made an impact.

Two healing dragons moved about the lines to take care of all of the injuries, but the need for care had already grown significantly since the battle even started. But the humans weren't ceasing in their attacks, even daring to edge their ranks closer to ours. Eventually the healing dragons had to join our lines as Jay called for the second line to attack, not including me of course. We heard yelling from the humans as they rearranged themselves, then fought back harder, unfazed by our magic hitting the ground around them.

Every dragon could sense the agitation from our leader as he called out the orders. This was everything we didn't want to happen when we left our realm. We wanted to escape the fighting and conflict and hardships, only to deal with just as much of it here.

Suddenly, Jay called out for me to attack, jarring me out of my thoughts. Quickly, I began to build up my energy, my eyes transitioning to silver. However, with the fighting raging everywhere around me, I easily became distracted, the built up energy leaving my body as though it hadn't been there in the first place. I repeatedly tried to build the energy up, only to have it disappear moments later. Rapidly beginning to panic, I let the energy build up again, and without waiting for it to build completely, I released it, not paying attention to where it was going.

Without realizing that my eyes had been closed, I opened them, and gasped in shock at the sight of two dragons in front of me, collapsed on the ground and fast asleep. My eyes widened, and quickly I backed out of the lines, shrinking back, and I glanced up at Jay, who was arranging for the dragons to be moved out of the way until they awoke. Jay turned to look at me, his expression unreadable, and I bowed my head in utter embarrassment and shame.

----------------------------------------------
I'm so sorry about the delay in updates! They will be pretty irregular from now on, I'm afraid..