Chapter Thirteen

~Drew's POV~

For the next couple of weeks, my regular routine became go to school, walk to the store with Brendan, then get the dragons their supplies, and run back home without my parents knowing I had been out all day. Seeing as Brendan and I had a few classes together and lunch, we talked more often and grew closer as friends.

The time grew to be about a month and a half since the dragons showed up. Brendan and I were talking together at lunch, and suddenly we heard a huge fuss being made at one of the tables crowded with the popular students. We began to listen to the commotion, and a twinge of panic flashed through my body as she spoke.

"Really, why must we live with these monsters so close to us? They could come out of the woods and attack us at any given moment! And no one's done anything about it? There are some woods next to the school! Those things could come out of them right now, and attack us all, and who would be able to get here in time to save us? We're in danger and people refuse to do anything about it!" Of course, the popular people in the room agreed, and even cheered her on. The "nobodies" minded their own business as usual.

Her name was Heather Densen, and she was seemingly the "queen" of the popular people. Wherever she went, the populars followed. Whatever she started wearing, everyone else was wearing it within a few days. She knew everything she could about anyone in the school, at any given time. I usually tried to avoid and ignore all of the populars, but Heather Densen was now my worst nightmare.

Brendan's gaze slid over to me, noting my tense state. "Drew, are you okay?"

I snapped out of my thoughts, jumping slightly. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking about Heather's little service announcement."

He scoffed. "Don't you think those 'monsters' would have already attacked us if they wanted to? I mean, what could we possibly do if they attacked us here? If that were their plan, they would've done it and taken over the town or something."

My eyes widened, and I stared at him in shock, unable to believe what I had just heard. "You don't think they're bad or anything?" I asked cautiously.

He gave me a curious look and shrugged his shoulders. "No. For all we know, they could be extremely kind. We're just afraid of what could happen. But, I mean, it hasn't happened yet, so really, they probably aren't evil or dangerous or anything like that."

My face brightened. Finally, someone besides me who believes the dragons won't kill us! "I completely agree with you! I feel like they're only misunderstood, that's all!"

Brendan laughed softly. "Well, that makes two of us, but I feel like no one else in here would quite see the same side as us."

"That's true.." I replied. "Everyone in this town is so close-minded.. And everyone in this school bows down to Heather, so I don't think anyone would dare speak their mind if they don't agree."

He nodded. "It is very apparent here.."

The bell rang, and everyone filed into the hallway, most of the chattering about what Heather said. Brendan and I parted ways, saying quick goodbyes, and we went to our classes. I took my seat just as the bell rang, and the teacher droned on about the lesson. I stared out the window, paying him no attention. I reflected over the conversation between Brendan and I.

I think I should show him the dragons.. I trust him for one thing, and for another, he doesn't think the dragons are going to try to kill us all.. I'll need to talk this over with them, but I hope they'll say yes.. I really need to get this town to like the dragons, and I'm running out of time.. I can't believe he only gave me two months for this.. Its impossible to convince a whole town of something that quickly..

"Drew Nightrose," the teacher called out, jarring me back into reality. "I'd appreciate that you paid attention in my class."

I cursed silently. My classmates snickered, and I mumbled a quick apology, my face burning red. I quickly took down the notes I didn't take, and for the rest of the school day tried to keep my mind off of the dragons.

*******************

I walked out of my final class to meet Brendan standing at my locker. We exchanged a small smile, then I put in my locker combination to start putting my books away. He began to talk about different people in his classes that he didn't like.

I shut my locker door, and Brendan and I began to head towards the doors of the school. We were just nearing the doors, when someone stepped in front of me. Upon realizing who it was, my blood felt as though it was made of ice.