Chapter Fifteen

**WARNING**

This chapter contains violence, cursing, and other content that may be triggering to some. If you are sensitive to these subjects, please read with caution (it should be fine once you get to the **** line)
----------------------------------------------

Upon realizing who it was, my blood felt as though it were made of ice.
--------------------------------------------------

~Drew's POV~

Standing in front of me was the ringleader of the group of populars that taunted me and chased me home each day. My shoulders tensed and I bowed my head. The person in front of me snickered, and a small growl began in the back of my throat.

"Where do you think you're going, Nightrose?" he said, the rest of his little crew crowding behind him. "I haven't seen you after school for a while-- I was getting a bit worried. You know how much I enjoy our little 'talks'."

I remained quiet and tried to go around the group. However, I was only able to take one step before the person in front of me grabbed my shoulders and flung me against the nearest locker, holding me there. I heard Brendan gasp in alarm from somewhere behind the group.

"Now, now, Drew, that wasn't very nice. Walking away in the middle of a conversation? Why, that's just plain rude." His little group snickered behind him. "Someone really should have taught you manners. Luckily, I can do that for you."

I tensed slightly, bracing myself. The popular swung at me, striking me across my face. My head flung itself sideways from the impact. He hit me again and again, causing my lip to split open and my nose to start bleeding. He soon tired of the monotonous pattern, and flung me to the ground. He began to kick my sides again and again as his peers watched on, cheering and taunting.

The popular that was kicking me began to spat insults at me, moved to do so by the group. Somewhere in the midst of the commotion I heard Brendan trying to get to me, calling my name, trying to get around the mass of bodies. I attempted to curl myself in a ball, but it did not help keep the pain from the kicks away. The popular continued in his cruel defilings.

"Learn some manners, fag!" he exclaimed as he aimed another kick. "Or are you too stupid to comprehend that? It would make sense, since you're too damn stupid to do anything else. Why haven't you killed yourself yet? You'd be doing everyone here a huge favor."

Finally, a voice rang out, calling for the popular to stop. A teacher pushed through the group, and gasped when they saw my battered state. However, it was that precise moment that the bully carried out a strong, well-aimed kick to my head. My vision blurred, and he repeated it one last time as the teacher grabbed him, my vision snapping into black as Brendan burst through next to the teacher.

*********************

Groggily, I opened my eyes, hissing from the pain in my sides and my head. I looked around to gain my bearings. I was in a small hospital room, and I was hooked up to an IV machine. The heart monitor was the only sound in the room. I turned my head over to look at the other side of the room, and gasped softly in surprise.

Brendan was sitting in a chair beside my hospital bed, fast asleep. My breath caught in my throat as I studied his sleeping face. He was so serious, and his eyebrows were furrowed slightly. His hair was disheveled, and there were dark bags under his eyes. I had become so entranced in his face that I hadn't noticed he was awake until he chuckled softly, and I averted my gaze quickly, my cheeks burning red.

"Hey, Drew, you're up," he said, stretching as he sat up straight in the chair.

"Yeah, how long was I out? The last thing I remember was--" I stuttered a bit, my face burning red as my mind skimmed over the thought, "um, getting beaten up."

His eyes filled with pain momentarily, but he hid it as soon as it had appeared. "You've been out for almost forty-eight hours. I got a teacher to come help, and they along with a few others helped take care of those bullies. We haven't been able to get a hold of your parents, but you're going to have to stay rested for a few days before you can go to school again in any case."

My thoughts raced. What about the dragons? I'm too dangerously close to running out of time to be stuck inside for any amount of time! Maybe I truly should tell Brendan about them, so he can help.. Or at least tell them what happened and are if I can get more time..

Upon noting my troubled expression, Brendan grasped my hand before saying, "Hey, Drew, it'll be okay. This won't happen again, and you'll be up and moving in no time. I'll even come over to take care of you and keep you company after school."

I nodded, my heart doing a little skip when he grabbed my hand. I felt my face heat up a little, and Brendan's took on a slight blush as well. He pulled his hand away after a moment, and ran a hand through his hair, his eyes cast down. In that moment, before I could say anything else, the doctor came in, and my parents followed behind. I cringed, averting my gaze so that I was looking at the doctor. He began to list off some things that I'd have to do while I was stuck at home. I nodded occasionally, not truly listening to him. Instead, anger and hate coursed through my veins, and my hands tightened into fists. I can't believe they're here..

The doctor finished listing things off, and I was free to go. Brendan helped me get out of the bed, and steadied me as we exited the room. My parents followed us out, murmuring quietly. We signed out, took care of any other paperwork, and went out to the car. Brendan helped me into the back seat and got in after me, my parents getting in as well, and we headed home.