Chapter Nine

~Luna's POV~

I woke up late in the day after a long night of restless, off-and-on sleep. When I wasn't sleeping, I was worrying that the humans would come out of no where and attack us, and I wouldn't be able to escape. My leg burned, and we had discovered that the sharp edges of the trap had some sort of chemical on them. If it weren't for the chemical, it probably wouldn't hurt as much. Nevertheless, it felt like my leg was wrapped in fire.

I shifted slightly, then raised my head to look around. Many of the dragons were out hunting, this time in groups, and with new precautions to take so that no more dragons would be injured. I sighed softly, letting my head fall to the ground. I felt useless just laying there. I should be helping.. I should have been more careful..

With a quick glance around the clearing, I began to try to stand up. Every other time I've tried, I was immediately reprimanded by a healer or by Jay. Since none of them were in sight, I was free to try as I pleased. I propped myself up on my front leg, and hissed in pain as I moved my injured one. Then, out of nowhere, Jay stepped in front of me.

"Luna," he said gently, With a slight hint of desperation in his voice, "you have to rest.. You'll never get better if you move and not give it time to heal! Besides, what if you get hurt even more?"

I sighed in exasperation, and reluctantly laid back down. "I can't stand this! What if I never do get better? What if humans come and attack us, what do you expect me to do then?"

"I don't know, Luna," he replied, strain now laced through his voice. "This hasn't exactly happened before, to any of us. We don't know what to expect. We don't know how to go about it. We're trying. Just please, help us take care of you, and who knows, you could get better within a few days. But Luna, you have to be patient, please.." He gave me one glance, and walked away.

I watched him as he walked away, regarding him carefully. I wonder if I'd be able to put him to sleep, and fly my way out.. I scoffed at the thought, a smile spreading on my face. Yeah, I'd get out of here, but I'd be in major amounts of trouble when he woke up..

Off to the side, there seemed to be a commotion. Looking over, I saw another dragon being brought into the clearing, this time with his face being covered in deep gashes. Dragons collected bandages and the like to help him. Jay called out commands to the swarming dragons, trying to make order out of the pandemonium.

I watched everyone run around, feeling helpless, useless. I sighed, laying my head down, my soul feeling as if it were being torn in two-- between what I wanted to do, and what I should do.

-------------------------------------------
I feel like this one was kinda weird.. Any thoughts?