Prologue

Soo, I'm trying my hand at story writing~ Sorry if its a bit jumpy and stuff in the beginning. I hope you enjoy it!~
------------------------
~Luna's POV~

We've been flying for days.. I'm getting tired.. Jay said we'd land soon, in a nearby town..

We've been flying from town to town for months now, finding almost no one. This next town is basically our last shot. I don't really know where we'll go afterwards if no one's there. I wonder if Jay, who is basically our leader, has a plan for that yet. Though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did. He always seems to know everything.

Up ahead, I heard Jay call for us to land. Finally..

Smoothly, like the many flocks of birds we've passed while flying, we settled on the ground. In one fluid movement, I folded my large, leathery wings against my body. They ached from the endless flying we had endured without complaint. As I looked around, much of the group collapsed to the ground in exhaustion, mostly the younger of us. I wonder why we landed.. Yes, we're tired, but we need to find a town soon.. We need resources.. I glanced at Jay. He was conferencing with some of the other higher-up members of our little group. What is going on..? Is there possibly a town close by?

Suddenly, extreme exhaustion overcame me. I felt faint, and began to sway a little bit with the slightest breeze. Stay up, please.. What if we have to take off again as soon as I lay down? I don't want to have any possibility of being left behind..
As if he had read my mind, Jay called all of us together to tell us what the plan was.

He paced back in forth in front of us; his face was unreadable. We had never really seen him act this way, and we had no idea how to respond to it. Should we be anxious? Exited? Nervous? Altogether, as if he had suddenly noticed we were standing there, he stopped pacing and turned to face us.

"Well," Jay began slowly, his tone still giving nothing away. "I've sent scouts out ahead of us to search. We believe there is a small town nearby. You can all stay here for the evening and get a much needed rest. Even still, keep on the alert, for we are in an area that could be dangerous, especially if there is a town nearby with people who could try to harm us. If you see any humans, alert me at once, and await my command only to attack." His gold colored eyes scanned the group of weary, tired dragons. He added, "Rest well. If there is a town nearby with people in it, we will go to it immediately," before turning away to discuss more plans with those of his advisors who stayed behind.

I sighed softly before collapsing to the ground. I'm.. So.. Tired.. was my last thought before my eyes shut like they had boulders tied to the lids. The colors of the leaves on the ground around me were my final sight before sleep overcame me.

It felt like only seconds later when I woke with a start to the sound of shouting and roaring, and the sound of Jay's voice and someone else's all around me. I looked around, seeing flashes of the elements, and all sorts of other things soaring around above me. As I continued to look, my groggy, disoriented gaze fell upon many humans, all of them holding some sort of weapon. This jolted me awake completely. With one move, I jumped up and away from them, moving behind lines of dragons using their various powers in defense. What happened? Are the scouts okay? Why are the humans attacking?

Jay shouted for me to join the lines. I knew then that this was very serious. Jay rarely called on me to fight. While I'm not the most powerful of dragons, my power could potentially put people to sleep, or even put them in a dream-like state. The only reason I can't yet is that I'm not in full control of my power yet. One wrong move, and I could put all of the dragons to sleep, or even only Jay. We all loyally follow him, and for a good reason. He's the best at keeping us all in line, and he's the best at strategy.

I moved into the neatly kept lines quickly. I only have a few select dragons I talk to, though I do keep mostly to myself. As soon as I had slid into line next to my comrades, I began to mentally prepare myself to fight. I've only ever used my power in the training sessions Jay puts me through. I took many deep breaths to calm my nerves while I awaited Jay's command. I needed as much concentration as possible to do this without messing up.

Then, Jay called out for me to attack. I took a final, shaky breath. Then, I closed my eyes, and gathered my energy. I opened my eyes, the former deep purple being replaced by silver. I felt the energy begin to build up more and more within me. I set my gaze on the line of humans across the field from us. I took in a deep breath, then let loose the energy I built up. It flashed through the air above the grassy space, and hit two humans, who promptly collapsed to the ground, deep in slumber. As the silver faded back into purple, I let out a silent triumphant cheer. It worked! It actually worked!

The humans, seeing their snoozing companions, began to flee back to the safe haven of their town. Only a few stayed behind, making futile attempts to continue to fight. A couple picked up their comrades laying on the field, and ran as fast as they possibly could. Only then did I feel the exhaustion. I had gotten just enough sleep to, combined with the adrenaline rush, unleash one powerful attack. As the fatigue overtook me, I fell to the ground just as Jay began to run towards me.