I sighed and turned once more towards the audience to search for Josh. My eyes scanned around for a tall figure with dark brown hair and matching brown orbs, but I couldn't find him.  Before I knew it, they were hauling us onto the stage for the tradition hat throw, "Congratulations class of 2020," Cory spoke, "I wish the best of luck to all of you."

When I had pictured the hat throw years ago in my middle school year, I had pictured it to be magical and meaningful, but at the moment all I did was quickly toss my hat up and go to find Riley, still scanning the room for Josh.  Why are you so obsessed with him, I thought to myself, You've gotten over this, Maya.

After quickly finding Riley and the rest of the gang, we decided to go meet with our families in the front hall.  We rushed through the halls of Abigail Adams High, eager to get out as soon as we good.  My heels clicked rapidly against the hard hallways and my gown swayed back and forth.  Everyone else was trying to make small talk with me, however I was not interested.  I was only interested in the fact that Joshua Matthews was at my graduation.

When entering the front hall,  I quickly found my mother and Shawn, and I rushed over to them, "Hey," I smiled.

"Hi baby girl," My mother grinned, placing her hands on my shoulders and pulling me into a tight hug, "I'm so proud of you.  Now if you take more then one day of college, you'll officially be smarter than me."

I laughed, and then Shawn pulled me into a hug, "I'm really proud of you, Maya. Congratulations.  I love you."

"I love you too, Shawn." I squeezed him tighter, while my mom beamed at her husband and daughter.  She had always been quite fond of our relationship. 

I looked around and quickly realized something, or someone, was missing, "Where's Annabelle?" I asked.

"She's over there.  By Josh," My mom answered, pointing out the doors to a patch of grass where Josh and Annabelle were playing together, and my stomach dropped.  He was picking dandelions and placing them in her neatly braided hair, while she giggled and smiled at the comments he was making to her.  I wanted to go get Annabelle, squeeze her with hugs and shatter her with kisses, but I didn't wanna be by Josh.  I just couldn't; at least not if I wanted to keep my reputation.  But who meant more to me; Annabelle or Josh.

Obviously Annabelle meant more; Josh was just a silly ex-crush and Annabelle was my sister.  Besides, maybe Josh would back off when I came over.  It wasn't like he liked me or anything. He made that painfully clear every time I would see him years ago.  So what was the worst that could happen?

"I'm gonna go say hi," I answered, giving my mom and Shawn another hug and then made my way towards the doors.  Before exiting, I quickly stopped myself and pushed myself against the wall in hesitation, "relax, Maya.  It's just Josh,  You don't even like him anymore; get a grip," I told myself, and slowly creeped out.

"Annie!" I called from the doors, and she quickly turned around in Josh's arms.  Her light brown braids bounced in her hair and a wide grin stretched across her face as she saw me walking towards them.  Josh turned around with her, and looked back at me.  His eyes widened and a confused look spread across his face, did he not realize I would want to say hi to my sister?

"Yaya!" She yelled, jumping out of Josh's arms and running into my embrace.  I smiled and gladly took her into my arms, "Mama said to say congratulations," she cheered.

"I'm sure she did," I giggled, pushing some loose hair out of her face, "thank you."

"For what?" Annabelle asked, tilting her head.

"For saying congratulations, you goof," I laughed.

"Oh," She giggled, "you're welcome.  But meet my new friend, Josh."

I stood up and Annabelle continued to hang onto my legs, "I've met Josh before, Ann."

"Best friends?" Annabelle questioned, which I was guessing meant, 'Are you best friends?'

I was about to answer with a no, just old friends, but Josh answered for me, "I think we're more than that."

"Best best friends?" Annabelle asked.

I was about to respond once more, but I was again interrupted, "Whatever you want to call it, Ann."

I sighed in frustration and picked Annabelle up into my arms, "I like your flowers."

"Thank you," Annabelle responded, "Josh put them in my hair."

"Did he now?" I questioned, looking at Josh, whose cheeks were flushing bright red. 

"Yeah.  I'm gonna go by Riley now," Annabelle jumped out of my arms and ran to Riley, who was standing across the yard with Lucas and their family.  I looked back at Josh.  His brown eyes looked better than ever and his goofy smile looked as if it could make anyone else smile just as big.  I felt myself slowly falling, however I knew I couldn't afford to fall. 

"Long time no see, huh," I spoke softly, trying to make small talk.  The moment was already uncomfortable enough; maybe small talk would make things a bit better.

"I haven't seen you in years, Maya," Josh said, taking a step towards me.

I swallowed hard, "Sure seems like it."

"Well," Josh started, but then quickly shook the thought off and chuckled to himself.

"What?" I questioned. 

"It's just,"  Josh looked me up and down, and ran his fingers through his dark brown hair, "Boy, you grew up gorgeous."

///

should i do another part of this or no? comment thoughts.

-bre;)

update august 2017: this is deadass my favorite thing i've ever written and i think its the cutest thing ever and i really wanna rewrite it but i don't wanna fuck it up