Chapter 2

"Hey Frank!" I yell as I enter the shop.

"Hey pumpkin! I'm in the office." He yells. I walk into the office and sit in one of the chairs.

"So, guess who I'm married to?"

"Who?"

"I told you to guess." I purse my lips together and give him a disappointed look.

"Alright, alright. How about that other smart kid that you were telling me about, the valedictorian or whatever."

"No. Maddox."

"As in Maddox who works here Maddox?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry sweetie, but maybe it won't be as bad as you think it will."

"Yeah right." I mutter as the devil himself walks into the office, his friends not too far behind.

"Hey Frank. Hey, uh, Peyton. What are you doing here?" He asks, looking at me awkwardly.

"Just talking to my parental guardian." I say, making all three sets of eyes go wide.

"Wait what?" Trevor asks, being the first one to recover.

"I live with Frank." I say slowly, hoping that they can keep up.

"Alright sweetie, they need to get to work. Also, the stuff for you is in my truck. You can drive it home, and I'll get home somehow." Frank says, shooing all of us out of his office and handing me the keys to his truck.

I start to walk away, but then the devil starts talking. "Hey, short stuff." He calls out. I roll my eyes before turning around to look at him. "Are you sure you don't wanna stay around and watch some real men doing some work?"

"Watch Frank? He's not my type. Plus were related. That's weird." He gives me a glare for my comment, but I roll my eyes and hop into Frank's truck anyway. I back out onto the road and quickly drive home. I can't wait to open my packages.

I take all of the boxes out of the truck and put them into the garage, ready to open them. I sigh in relief when I see that it is all here and in good condition. I had ordered a new muffler, new rims, a carburetor, and a belt. I don't even bother changing my clothes. I plug the stereo in and get to work.

Three hours later I am all greasy and covered in dirt. A car pulls into the drive way, and leaves moments later.

"Hey, sweet pea. How's the car coming?"

"It's good. All I need now is to build the new stereo, and she will be golden." I stand back beside Frank to assess my work. I am extremely proud of myself. I have rebuilt this car from the bottom up. When I bought it, I paid $1,000 dollars for the body and the under carriage of the car. And that was about a year and a half ago. I had been working at a diner down the street from my house and also at Frank's garage, when no one from my high school would be there, to pay for all the parts. I even sandblasted it and painted it myself. One of the only things that I didn't do my self was have the seats reupholstered. I have put blood sweat and tears into this car, and I can't wait until she is street ready.

"Let's get some dinner. Also, judging by the size of your back pack, you also have a lot of homework to do missy."

"Nope, that's Maddox's fault too."

"What did he do now?"

"He was standing in front of my locker, and I have tools in there. If he would see them he would be suspicious, so I didn't go to my locker after school."

"You could have just told him that they were for me."

"Frank, before today he didn't know that we were related."