Comprehensive Nico |E|

EDITED

Nicolas

"Mon amour, please." I begged, reaching for my wife. "Don't cry, we're okay, our baby is in a better place now. We'll have more, don't worry."

The doctor has left the room, giving me some privacy with my wife. "I was really excited, Nico. I wanted this baby.."

I stroke her hair, "As did I, mon ange." She stopped crying and leaned in for a hug. "We'll have more, you say?"

I chuckled, "All the ones you want, mon amour. Nothing can replace this baby but trust me, it'll never be forgotten." I pecked her forehead, "Je t'aime, mon ange."

"I love you too, Nico." She rested her head on my chest, her breathing much more controlled. I continued to stroke her hair and peck her head occasionally until I felt her breath slowly, indicating she's asleep.

I know how to console Ruby.

I waited until Eddie walked away beside some nurse who came to get him. I approached Ruby slowly and cautiously. "Ruby," I say as I pull her into a tight and welcoming hug without thinking about what she could do. She could have pushed me and slapped me but she didn't. She could've kicked my groin but she didn't.

She hugged me back after a few seconds of awkwardness. "Are you alright? How is she?"

She pulled away from me, "She's fine; I'm fine. What're you doing here, Nico?"

"I figured since Albert is at school, I should drop by and see if you're alright. Do you need anything? Does Ev?" I say but she cocks an eyebrow, clearly not believing a word I say. "Alright, Ruby. The truth is I came for you; I'm the only one who can understand you. We've been in this position before. Remember?"

"I haven't forgotten, Nico." She sighs, "I just choose not to mention it. I don't like being reminded of the child I lost."

"I don't mean to make you feel bad but you almost lost Ev."

"I know I did but I didn't, she's fine! She isn't in any grave danger and Eddie says I can take her home sooner than we thought." She snaps, I can see she's hurting.

"Sorry." I mutter as I stare into her beautiful eyes. Ruby doesn't say another word to me, instead, she looks back into my eyes with an unknown emotion in them.