Chapter 1

SPOILER ALERT: THIS FANFIC CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR X-MEN APOCALYPSE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT, BUT HAVEN'T DONE SO AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED, DON'T READ IT YET.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Conceal,don't feel.

Although the film in itself was highly overrated, the phrase applied to a certain young mutant girl in many ways. She knew her powers would be her own self destruction, that someday, if she didn't know how to control it, all would be lost for her.

She didn't know how they could ever be used for good. A weird girl who could change colors based on how she felt, and was coldblooded as a revolting snake couldn't exactly so much in the world except strike fear into the hearts of those who didn't understand her.

Of course, she didn't exactly know who the X-Men were, or she'd be at the Institute now, wouldn't she?

Probably not. Her self esteem was buried deeper than the earth's core. As for now, all she needed was her family, and friends, and her home.

Though, she needed the Institute. She needed to hone her powers for good use. To make a better change in the world.

Perhaps that's why she lost all that she loved.

---

1983

Berlin, Germany

Hidden in the thin confines of a black, worn-out hood, you sprinted to the nearest building you could find. You were surprised that there were any buildings nearby at all, as you haven't been in the city for about three months now.

A runaway mutant from Poland. Another freak. A devil's spawn.

You felt bad for Erik Lensherr, or rather, as he was commonly known, Magneto. All these years, he hid in your hometown in Poland, working at the local factory. A kind man, you usually came to his home to play with his daughter, Nina. Of course, you knew that she was a mutant, though never suspected that her father was one, only that either he or his wife would have the genes for it or such.

But no. He was a mutant too.

You could clearly recall the last night you visited them, which was the last night you stayed. You and Nina were peacefully playing with dolls, while he and his wife were holding an unsuspecting conversation.

"Można zmienić na inny kolor, starsza siostra?," (Can you turn into any other colors, big sister?) Nina asked, as she stroked her doll's hair.

"Tylko wtedy, gdy czuję się inaczej, ale na razie cieszę się, że jestem z tobą, dlatego jestem żółty," (Only when I feel different, but for now, I'm happy that I'm with you, which is why I'm yellow.) you replied with a smile, your skin shining even more.

Whenever you felt a certain emotion, your grey complexion would turn into a different color. For example, given that you were relaxed, and that everything seemed as if it all was going to be fine, you were a luminous shade of yellow, glowing beneath the fortress you and Nina had created.

The tent opened, revealing a tear-stained Erik, who went by Henyrik at this time.

"Co się stało, Tato?," (What's wrong, Papa?) Nina asked, her small form hugging her father.