Chapter 13

Klaus POV

In this long life of mine, only one person has ever made a difference in me. A difference that makes me want to protect instead of kill. That makes me want to be a better man. One person for whom I would take down the entire world just to see a smile. Perhaps, that's the reason she must have been absent from our lives during her childhood.

Hope is now the only thing that has kept me going for so long in this battle in New Orleans. She's going to need a happy, peaceful place to learn and grow. Haley and I weren't going to allow her to end up like the two of us. Broken, untrusting, paranoid, and unhappy, my little girl is the only ray of sunshine in my life and now I've lost that too.

During our little spat in the study, I could see the little glint of mischief behind her eye as she began to cry and tell me all about her life story. She's been here for almost six months and we've barely spoken a word to one another, why would she decide now to tell me all of this? Ah, because she wants to use her brown eyes to get me to teach her to fight. That wasn't going to happen.

Hope thinks that I'm being unfair and unrealistic, but there's a reason she keeps wearing that necklace around her neck. The first born of every blood line is a very powerful witch, if she gets out of control, then who knows who would be able to calm her down. Hope didn't need to feel like a danger to the city or her family. She was so much better than that.

Not only that, other witches would be able to feel her using her magic and track her down with ease. There was a method to my madness. Josephine is the most powerful witch that I've seen for a long time and if Hope did an ounce of magic she'd be able to find her and take her without blinking an eye. Elijah had suggested that Davina help her out and make sure she stayed safe by putting a barrier around the compound. Davina did just that when she came to train Hope.

Though, I didn't bother telling her that I was in on their little secret, as long as she was happy and safe that's all that mattered. With the Mikaelson blood came anger in every sort, usually against their father. I'll let her hate me for a while. Soon she'll learn of everything going on and the stakes and she'll come back to me. For now I'll fight with her all she wants, as long as it keeps her alive.

My daughter wasn't going to be in the middle of things such as this. Soon enough, things would be taken care of and she would no longer need to be kept up in the compound. In the meantime, when I am off ripping out hearts and slicing heads, Elijah, Rebekah, and Hayley would be by her side. There was no need for me to take my focus from catching Josephine.

Little did I know at the time, I should have been looking at my daughter the entire time.

After our little spat, I went to her room to talk some more when I noticed her scent was stale and absent. Her guards had been standing outside the entire time, that much I could tell. I rip open the door to find everything gone, her clothes, her bags, everything. The only thing I found she hadn't taken with her was the little wooden soldier that was placed very deliberately on the middle of the bed for me to find.

There was also a little note underneath the figurine was a little note:

I told you I'd find her - Josephine

My blood began to boil as I read over the note again, again, and again. A loud growl tore through my chest as I vamp in front of my guards. "I thought I told you not to let her leave the house."

The hybrid choked as I lifted it off the ground by it's throat, "She is in there sir, she's on the balcony reading."

"No you idiot! She's gone! She's gone because of you!" The hybrid next to him began running but I caught him as well and threw them through a wall. "You won't get away so quick, neither will your deaths be quick."