Chapter 7: Unnatural Liaisons

Zeke held up his torch to the drawings on the walls, studying what he could understand.

The golden torchlight made him look half his age despite his rugged features.

"What the hell is that kids name doing here?" Zeke shook his head, eyes wide. A gnawing feeling erupted from the depths of my gut, but despite my uneasiness, my voice never wavered.

"I don't know," I breathed. "But I'd sure as hell like to find out."

~ ~ ~

Soon after Zeke and I got back to the student body, emergency services arrived by the truckloads to help clean up what was left of the accident. Saffron coloured debris was cast away and left at the bottom of the chasm until they saw fit to retrieve it. Large vans pulled up, they were extra careful to keep away from the loose rock. All of the students and staff piled onto the safety of the large white vehicles. I urged Zeke to sit with Denae and the others, but he refused to leave my side, keeping his piercing eyes trained on me like a hawk.

It took half the time to get back to St Tournes as it did to get up to the ranges, mind you there was certainly a sense of urgency on the way back. Many of the students looked too scared to say anything substantial, occasionally they whispered to each other.

Reece climbed off the bus before I did, and was waiting on the curb for me to get off. He was being checked over by the school nurse. A tiny flashlight was being held to his eyes, and a white bandage was being wound over his wrist.

Zeke, Denae, Quentin, Wolf and Skye has obviously already gotten off the bus, and they all gathered in a cluster far left of the commotion, avoiding the bus and the students involved. Denae sat on a nearby bench, her hands folded together while others stood. Zeke with his hands in his pockets, stood like a wooden soldier.

"Look I don't know what's been going on these last few days," Reece said.

"But I want you to know that I'm here." He reassured me softly, looking at the ground as he did so.

"I wish I knew." I lied vacantly. I knew exactly what was happening, although it's not like I could tell him anything even I wanted to. That and Denae and Wolf would probably have my head by the looks both of them have given me.

"But there has to be some reason why all this is happening. How many buses fall off the edge of mountain ranges?"

I could see Zeke staring intensely behind Reece, as if he could hear exactly what Reece was saying. A sick feeling built up from the pit of my stomach. If Reece was asking questions this soon, it made me wonder how long I could avert his focus, how long I could lie to him for.

Zeke's dark eyes pierced mine, his arms now crossed over his broad chest. I stared back evenly, as if somehow I could tell him everything was okay solely through a flicker of eye contact. But it wasn't okay, if Reece even caught the scent that I had anything to do with kids like Denae, Zeke and Wolf, shit would hit the fan, fast.

"These things happen, I'm sure schools have accidents." I chewed my lip. "Mind you not many schools might have hangings off old buildings"

Reece pondered this for a moment.
"I guess. Still, something doesn't feel right." I didn't know how to respond. He scrunched his nose up in that adorable geeky way he did. Seemingly skating free the subject he spoke.

"Enough of the subject. I want you to come with me tomorrow," He grinned.
"I think there's something you'd like." My eyebrows shot up.

"Oh yea? Well when are you planning on showing me your master plan?"
"Tomorrow night, outside your dorm." A friend from afar waved at Reece, calling at him. He turned from me and talked over his shoulder as he wandered away.