Letting out a soft cry, I clutched at her arm.

"Are you close?" she asked and I barely managed a weak nod at her words. It was then that her tongue traced the contours of my shoulder that they could reach and her other hand came to toy with my nipple. Before I knew it, I was trembling into a sweet abyss of pleasure, letting out soft whines of my best friend's name as my body finally settled.

Manda left soft, chaste kisses on my neck that made me warm all over. Again, there was that incomparable gesture of gentleness from her that carried more significance to me than the sex. 

"Was that good?" she mumbled against my neck.

"Mmm," I replied.

"That was for last night," she replied.

I wrapped my hands around her arms which were currently holding me up and she hugged me from behind. I tilted my head to the side so I could kiss the soft skin of her cheek.

"I love you, Manda," I said. At this point, I meant it in every way possible. I was done trying to veil my words behind the curtain of sole platonic affection.

"I love you too, Paiten," she said, her tone soft and tentative.

There was something melancholic in her tone and before I could ask her about it she said, "it's best we start getting dressed, we need to leave soon."

And then she was out of the shower. I stood under the warm stream of water for a full minute, my mind spinning with what had just happened before I quickly rinsed all of the wetness that coated my inner thighs and turned off the water.

×

On the ride to the airport, Manda had her earphones in while she watched the scenery from her window. Her hand rested in my lap and she let me play with her fingers, her palm rested weakly on my lap while I listened to music too.

She slept on the plane ride home.

A part of me tried not worry about the fact that we hadn't really spoken since last night, much less about what had transpired between us in the past twelve hours.

I tried to tell myself that Manda was probably tired and that she didn't mean to be so withdrawn because we had to talk about this. I needed to know what this all meant – especially because I'd told her that I loved her.

I needed to know how she felt about me, I needed to know if it now meant that Manda was a closeted bisexual perhaps, or if she was lesbian or confused or unsure and if a real relationship was possible between us.

I knew I was getting ahead of myself but it was all in front of me: the magic between us had been undeniable and she'd sneaked into the shower and had made me come so hard I'd seen blinding stars. She hadn't needed to – but she did anyway and that had to count for something, right?

I assumed Manda would be staying over until dinner when we landed at O.R Tambo International Airport a few hours later.

It was only early afternoon anyway, and I thought we could spend an hour or so together and finally get to talk but I was surprised when Manda told me that her mom was on her way to pick her up and she'd arrive as soon as we made it to the estate.

MaNcube arrived at our house ten minutes after we'd gotten there and while our parents conversed for a few minutes, I helped Manda with her bags. She got into the passenger seat of the car and her window was rolled down while she waited for her mom.

"Hey Manda, are you okay?" I asked.

Manda snapped her attention to me and nodded, "yeah, of course. Why would you think I wasn't okay?"