Chapter 7

The sun had just ducked underneath the rolling hills of Middle-Earth as you left the forest of Mirkwood. It was quite a beautiful sight. You felt happy, relaxed. To be honest, you were just really glad to be out of the forest. That place had always made you fell a bit, well, odd. You didn't like going in there. Legolas ensured you that nothing could happen whilst you were with them. There was no one in the whole realm that knew the forest better than Thranduil. In fact, he knew every tree, every branch, every leaf and every insect that crawled on those leafs. You felt a bit safer after he'd said that. But it didn't take away the feeling of insecurity; you were about to march upon the hideout of a orc pack that was not only very strong, but extremely large in numbers as well. You definitely messed with the wrong guys, that was for sure.

He looked very impressive, sat on his Elk like that. You had been behind him this whole time, alongside Legolas. It was tradition for the King to lead. His hair swung with every step; his scent continuing to form a breeze and touch your face ever so slightly to make you feel safe. His back straightened and his nose up in the air like a proud peacock. He really was something.

''(y/n)? Are you listening to me?''

You suddenly snapped out of your beautiful daydream. Legolas had been talking to you for five whole minutes and you didn't even notice.

''Sorry, Legolas, I was somewhere else. You were saying?''

''I asked you if you had ever been to Mordor before?''

''No, I haven't. I have to say, I didn't really plan on going there ever in my life, but here I am.''

It was believed the pack held up somewhere in the North of Ephel Dúath, the mountains of shadows as said in common language, where they have started to form an army.

It was quiet for a few minutes when a thought popped up in your head.

''Legolas, if the enemy is forming an army, and they have one of us, shouldn't we be worried it might be a... trap?''

''It is most definitely a trap. There is no doubt about that.'' Thranduil said as he gestured for Legolas to swich places. ''But we have to rescue him. He is, after all, one of our own. Besides, we have to see how big and powerful this army actually is. Stories spread and grow very quickly in Middle-Earth. What once was the story of drunk man fighting his own shadow can soon be turned into a brave man fighting a bear. Do you see?'' Thranduil said whilst turning to you.

''I understand. What are you going to do when this army is as big as they say? Will you fight?''

''No. I will not interfere. Not yet.'' He said. ''I am not going to waste elvish blood on those cursed lands without any help from others. This is a fight that we can not win on our own.''

''I don't understand why anyone would want to kill so many people just to be able to rule this world? It doesn't make sense to me.''

''Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be. In time all foul things come forth. And there is nothing that we can do about it, for now. Do not worry too much, (y/n). It will be okay.'' Thranduil said as he took his original position in front of you.

''He is right. You shouldn't worry. Leave that to us.'' Legolas said, winking. You smiled as you felt the stone of the necklace between your fingers. There was truth in what they said.

Being outside for so long has made you able to appreciate the beauty of Middle-Earth. When you still lived in the village with your father, you stayed inside and only came outside to get some water, or hunt for food. The village itself was in the middle of the woods and you didn't venture outside those woods, ever. This was a whole new experience. The new smell of the flowers that grew in the meadows, the new sounds of the birds that chirped happily whenever you passed a tree, the flies and bees buzzing around you. You could actually enjoy yourself if you didn't think about the actual purpose of this journey.

Suddenly Thranduil waved his hand that stopped abruptly mid-air, and you could hear the whole army resting in their tracks. You saw Legolas climbing down his horse and you did the same thing. Thranduil, however, stayed on his Elk.

''What brings a whole amry of elves to a place like this, I wonder?'' And old voice said. You pinched you eyelids together to get a clearer view of the man that stood in front of you. He wore a pointy, grey hat and a long cloak to match. He had some sort of staff in his hands and he seemed like he was exhausted.

''Nothing that could interest you, Gandalf.'' Thranduil said. ''Unless you want to aid in retrieving my head of the guard? I think not.''

''It seems like you are headed towards Mordor. I'm warning you, that is a foul place. If you cherish your life and the lives of your kin I would turn back now. You of all people should know what loss feels like.''

It seemed like Thranduil was going to do it for a moment. Actually turn back. The moment Gandalf spoke about his loss, something snapped. You thought he was going to rip his head off but instead he said:

''Thankyou for the kind words, wise wizard. But I have made up my mind. No creature in the whole of Middle-Earth is going to get away with abducting one of my people. (y/n), give him some water and Lembas bread. It seems like he needs it.'' You nodded and retrieved a water flusk and the square package out of the satchel that was attached to your horse. You walked up to Gandalf and he accepted it gladly.

''Thankyou, My Lady. I wish you all the best of luck in your journey, wherever it may take you next.''

You smiled and walked back towards Thranduil. He smiled to let you know you did well. You mounted you horse and the King gave the signal to start moving again. As you walked, the distance between you and the wizard became greater and greater, until there was nothing left of him but a little speck on the Horizon.

Hello, from the dark dark dark place that is my head. I am so sorry this took so long. I literally had no idea how to even write this story but I hoped it turned out okay, I even made it a little longer than usual to make up for me not updating for so long... It probs still has some grammar mistakes here and there and I apologize for those, I just wanted to get this chapter out there asap.  Thankyou so much for voting and commenting, oh my god you are all  so nice! I have a question for you, have any of you even been to New-Zealand? I'd love to go there some day and visit the set, that'd be amazing! Well, I'm gonna go now, Happy reading!

xxxx