Chapter 14

You woke up the next morning with a strange feeling in your stomach. A lot happened the night before. After the interrogation, after Thranduil soothed you, word came in from the guards that Tauriel went into the woods, and that Legolas had gone after her. Thranduil was furious. He immediately ordered the guards to leave his chambers and he turned towards you. You didn't know what to say, so you ought to just keep quiet. Thranduil turned away from you, but you noticed his eyes spat fire. He had started to pace around the chambers uttering some words in elvish you did not understand. He wasn't able to compose himself. After a while, you had it and you decided to speak up. You cleared your throat and said;

''Legolas went after Tauriel because he feels the need to protect her. I'm sure you would've done the same if Legolas was the one to run off into the woods.'' You said whilst grabbing his hand.

He tightend his grip as he said; ''It's not Legolas I'm angry with. Tauriel disobeyed a King's order. She won't be forgiven.''

You didn't really know what to say to that. He was angry, and you were scared of saying something that would anger him even more.

''All I hope is that both of them will live to see tomorrow morning.'' Thranduil said after turning to you. ''I'm very happy to still have you here with me, my lady.''

You smiled. ''And I'm very happy to be here with you, my lord.''

For the first time you took the initiative and raised yourself up on your toes to reach for him and kiss him. Gently. Thranduil returned the kiss and you felt butterflies. After all this time the King still made everything feel like brand new. He broke the kiss and ordered to have breakfast. The maiden whom he commanded told him that breakfast was already served. Thranduil looked somewhat happy and took you with him to the hall where the table was set with an array of fruit and bread. You happily ate as your stomach was now rumbling. Thranduil poured you some juice from a fruit you didn't know even existed but you drank it anyway. It tasted sweet but tangy at the same time. You liked it.

***

You were in the library when you heard Thranduil enter. You liked the library and started to get familiar with the place. It was big, but you started to know your way around. You could hear Thranduil's deep voice echo as he talked to someone in Elvish. It kept getting louder which indicated he was getting closer. When you turned around you saw Thranduil and a guard stand at the top of a few steps that led down into a pit, which you claimed as your reading space. The ground was covered in books and scrolls and you saw the King's eyes glisten. He ordered the guard to leave and went to sit down next to you. It was funny seeing him like this, in a style of clothing which you could almost describe as 'casual'. No robe, no glimmering and shiny pants, just a normal look.

''What are you reading?'' He said as he pulled the book out of your hands.

''I don't really know. I've been trying to read it but I somehow can't finish the first sentence.''

''This book was written by an Elf who studied the behaviour of a certain bird that lives in the woods. All very difficult and boring words, to be honest with you. Why don't you try something a little more light?'' He said as he stood and walked towards a bookcase with a frown on his face, looking for a particular book.

He walked back over to you and sat down on the floor. He opened the seemingly less-than-twenty-page book and you figured this was probably a children's book. A very smart idea, you had to give him that.

''Why don't I read it to you, and you can try and read along? That way you know how to pronounce the words, and then you can try yourself with another book.''

''That's a good idea.'' You said as you moved closer to him to be able to read the book. He started reading out loud and you read along with him. The words slowly started to make sense to you as the book went on. You had a little to no clue what the book was about exactly, but it was something along the lines of a little insect trying to find a home.

After a while your neck started to get tired and you placed your head on his shoulder. You just sat there until he was finished reading.

''Did you understand the book, my lady?'' Thranduil said whilst closing the book. ''I used to read this to Legolas when he had trouble sleeping. It was one of his favourites, he would beg me to read it to him.'' You smiled at his comment. You smiled at the thought of a tiny Legolas. It was hard imagining him little, since he was such an impressive appearance. ''I think I got a little of the story. Was it about a bug whom was searching for a home?'' You spoke softly. ''Yes! That's the gist of it. Well done, I am proud of you.'' He said as he turned his head to look down upon you. You smiled and he kissed your forehead.

You both sat in the self-proclaimed book pit for a while when you broke the silence.

''How do you say 'I love you' in elvish?''

Thranduil seemed a little shocked by your question as he raised his eyebrows. It soon turned into a small smile and he said; ''Gi Melin.''

The way he said it made your heart flutter. ''Gi Melin.'' You repeated after him. ''Elvish is such a beautiful language. I'm so impressed with the sound of it and how it all sounds so flowy.''

Thranduil didn't say anything, he just smiled.

''Do you mean it, my lady?''

''Mean what?''

''What you just said to me. Do you mean it?''

You hesitated for a brief moment. You weren't sure whether or not you were going to tell him you loved him. That was not something to take lightly. Especially when you say it to royalty. There was no going back from this if you said it. But it did feel good. Everything about him felt good. Even though you are human and he's an Elf. That didn't matter. He understood you. You understood him. You felt safe with him, he's everything you'd ever hoped for. The way you met was something destined to be. It happened because it was meant to happen. It was fate. There was nothing in this whole world that you loved more than you loved Thranduil. Not even life itself. You were shocked by this thought, but agreed with yourself that you would give your life for him.

''I... I think I do, my Lord.'' You said. It was hard to look him in the eyes as you told him but h grabbed your chin and kissed you three times. One on the right cheek, one on the left, steadily inching closer to your mouth and the third on the lips.

''Gi Melin, (y/n).''

Happy 2020, dear readers. May everything you hope and wish for come true. Love you all! 

Happy reading!

xxxx