Chapter Nine

"So where are we going?" I asked.

John had rudely woken, just when I was finally getting some sleep, to tell me that he was going somewhere and I had to come with.

"You'll see." He said, with goofy smile on his face.

He thinks this is funny?! How would he like it if I woke him up, this early in the morning?!

We started walking on a dirt road that led towards a small cluster of trees. The road was leading away from the quiet streets.

We disappeared behind the tall trees to reveal on the other side a small abandoned park.

There was a small pond in the centre of the park, with a bench to the side of it, there was also a swing set and a slide that had began to rust and there were overgrown bushes, with wild flowers growing next to them.

I walked a few steps forward, lost in a daze at how beautiful it looked.

"I thought you might like to go out of the house for a bit, you seemed a bit down." I heard him say from behind me.

I could feel tears start to form at the corners of my eyes, "Thanks."

I went over to the swings and sat down rocking myself back and forth with the heel of my shoe.

"How'd you find this place?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I just stumbled on to it."

I smiled to myself, "Do me favour and give me a push."

He gave me questioning look, "You're not serious?"

"I am, so stop staring at me like that and give me a push."

He sighed and moved to the back of me and gave me a light push.

"Come on, I'm not a four year old I won't fall off."

"You act like a four year old." He mumbled, while pushing me a bit further.

"What was that?" I said, knowing exactly what he said, but pretended not to.

"Oh, nothing." He said.

I gave a joyful squeal, as I went high up into the air. I could hear John chuckling behind me.

All of sudden I heard a loud rustling noise. I jumped from the swing on the hard ground bellow.

"What hell?!" I heard John scream, as he helped me up.

I hadn't gotten seriously hurt, but my head was throbbing from the fall.

John was deadly quiet; I was expecting him to be yelling and worrying over me.

I looked at him, he looked enraged, but not at me.

I looked at what he was staring at.

There were three men, which had appeared from behind the trees.

Their clothes where torn and dirty, they also had a deadly look to them.

One of the men stepped forward, staring at John with a deathly gaze, he turned towards me, looking at me up and down, licking his lips as he stared.

I felt sick at the thought of this man looking at me with lustful eyes.

"I see you have a new toy with you." The man said, staring at me as he talked.

"You aren't allowed here Dean." John said hatred coating his words.

The man spit at the ground where John stood, "We were just passing through."

"Well you better just turn right around."

The man, who I assume was Dean, became deadly quiet; he had been looking at me the entire time, which was sending chills down my spine.

I moved behind John trying to get away from the man's deadly gaze.

"How much do you want for the girl?"

My heart started beating a mile a minute all colour drained from my face.

John grabbed my hand, "Nothing, you disgusting vermin."

He laughed, "You've become soft John."

John at this point had lost his temper and punched him in the face.

There was blood at the corner of his mouth, which he whipped off. He glared at John before the three men turned to leave.

John grabbed me and started dragging me back home, not stopping till we were safely behind its walls.

As soon we entered the room, John started screaming at the men, sending to different areas.

I tried getting his attention, needing answers to what had happened.

"Who the hell where those men?!" I screamed trying to get his attention.

He looked at me, "The man who killed Rick, his name was Joshua and he wasn't alone when he killed him." He said quickly.

I turned pale has I realized who those men where, "They worked for the...man you...killed?" I said in shaky voice.

He nodded, as he hurried off.

I slumped into one of the couches.

The one was staring at me...and he was trying to get me...what if...he comes back...for me? I can't think like that, John wouldn't let that happen.

***************************************************
   Vote if you enjoy the story.😜          
***************************************************